Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok let me start by saying since my DD is build and semi tune i feel it's time to start another build. just building another long block and tranny for just in case i find the right rolling chassie.

i'm building the SOHC D engine and it's being building around a D16a6 head w/ a Crane 251-0016 cam. Supertech full valvetrain.

now here's where i come to a blank. i'm looking for the right bottom end combo with pistons. i have a set of Probe 500grams I beam rods w/rod bolts.

so first i need to see the difference between D16A6 vs D16Z6 vs D16Y8. i'm leaning to a y8 but i want to say i'm going to keep it ODB1 for tuning.

now as ime progressed i've narrow down my pistons into 2 pistons. PM3 pistons vs PG6 pistons.

PM3 piston

PG6 piston

there's always PDN pistons but they are hard to find a set. and lastly i will be zero decking the block.

please give you opinion. i kind a know want to do i just want to hear it out loud and disscussed thats all.

thanks

remo.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i honestly think your best bet would be with the a6 for one it has better oiling to the rods and mains. what is you desired comp ratio, i knw that cam likes compression over 11.5:1 probaly more like 12+. if you use the pm3 it will stick up a bit but would make for a nice n/a piston once proper mods to the cumbustion chamber are made to accomadate the piston projection, the pg6 is already 0 deck but will need work on the valve relifes to use the 16 and im sure there is gonna be some head mill in there too, the pdn look good for compression but will need a .020 deck trim and they look like the valve relife issue will be worse then the pg6. i think if it was me doing this built id be leaning towards the pm3

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
PG6s and save yourself the hassle of changing the deck height. The PDNs are hard to find and actually 29mm compression height, which is not worth the time, IMO. (That being said I have a set on modded LS rods, already, so, I will be using them.) PM3s shouldn't be used for any VTEC head. At all. Ever.

You could also go for the 30mm compression height NPR P29s, which are definitely one of the best cheap pistons for a D16 build.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i honestly think your best bet would be with the a6 for one it has better oiling to the rods and mains. what is you desired comp ratio, i knw that cam likes compression over 11.5:1 probaly more like 12+. if you use the pm3 it will stick up a bit but would make for a nice n/a piston once proper mods to the cumbustion chamber are made to accomadate the piston projection, the pg6 is already 0 deck but will need work on the valve relifes to use the 16 and im sure there is gonna be some head mill in there too, the pdn look good for compression but will need a .020 deck trim and they look like the valve relife issue will be worse then the pg6. i think if it was me doing this built id be leaning towards the pm3
ok then if i go with the a6, i might go with a y8 oil pump, dipstick ang y8 aluminum oil pan. also i can keep the crank trigger but i would need to use the y8 crank. which i have one but it spun a bearing, so i might get it fixed up.
my 0 deck D17 pistons taught me valve reliefs are not always even needed.
truthly i can't even fathom not claying my motor especially spending as much money as i do. lol.
PG6s and save yourself the hassle of changing the deck height. The PDNs are hard to find and actually 29mm compression height, which is not worth the time, IMO. (That being said I have a set on modded LS rods, already, so, I will be using them.) PM3s shouldn't be used for any VTEC head. At all. Ever.

You could also go for the 30mm compression height NPR P29s, which are definitely one of the best cheap pistons for a D16 build.
first let me say matt. i know you live by PG6 pistons. lol. if i did find a set of PDN lets just say. my rods are bushed to accommodate our stock wrist pins so i can just remove the bushing and i won't have no problem making it work with the PDM.

um matt my head is non-vtak. lol. i probly going to get flame for this but the concept of using the PM3 pistons is like in the sense that muscle engine use flat face if the concept can work in our motors.

i have a set of NPR 76mm P29 already but i'm still in the mix feeling about them splitting the combusture chamber and buying a set of Endyn Roller-Wave pistons are not an option. forking out $500 uh nope.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remo, IMO run the P29's and a D16a6 block (mainly) because of better oiling to the rod's and main's :yes:

if you would like an indepth explaination of my reasoning ask me
hit me up then. i need to hear this.

and i was going to post those pick. since common senes posted those pics so long ago pics.

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
hit me up then. i need to hear this.

and i was going to post those pick. since common senes posted those pics so long ago pics.
well im just shooting from the hip with this combo, but I had built the actuall engine but never ran it because of other things in life that forced me to sell it :dots:

I used the D16a6 block because of the oiling qualitys and from a side by side comparison the internal webbing looked a little more heavy duty. imo its the best platform for any d-series build. since your staying n/a and non vtec id imagine your going to want higher compression to make the power worth building the motor, so say you decided to run p29 pistons and a stock deck height and stock d16a6 head. your compression should be about 10.79:1-10.8:1 depending on headgasket used, making it completely streetable on pump gas, add in a lopy cam and a bisi header and you should be making reliable power. get silly and do a home made itb set-up and have even more fun

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
"so first i need to see the difference between D16A6 vs D16Z6 vs D16Y8. i'm leaning to a y8 but i want to say i'm going to keep it ODB1 for tuning."

I thought you meant Y8 head.

You'll likely want more valve clearance than the PG6s will offer with the Crane 16. Get some of the 30mm compression height P29s. They offer very good quench, huge room for valves, and the dome isn't as dumb as with the regular P29s.

That P29 has been modified from stock.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well im just shooting from the hip with this combo, but I had built the actuall engine but never ran it because of other things in life that forced me to sell it :dots:

I used the D16a6 block because of the oiling qualitys and from a side by side comparison the internal webbing looked a little more heavy duty. imo its the best platform for any d-series build. since your staying n/a and non vtec id imagine your going to want higher compression to make the power worth building the motor, so say you decided to run p29 pistons and a stock deck height and stock d16a6 head. your compression should be about 10.79:1-10.8:1 depending on headgasket used, making it completely streetable on pump gas, add in a lopy cam and a bisi header and you should be making reliable power. get silly and do a home made itb set-up and have even more fun
i see, i see
"so first i need to see the difference between D16A6 vs D16Z6 vs D16Y8. i'm leaning to a y8 but i want to say i'm going to keep it ODB1 for tuning."

I thought you meant Y8 head.
um no bottom end
You'll likely want more valve clearance than the PG6s will offer with the Crane 16. Get some of the 30mm compression height P29s. They offer very good quench, huge room for valves, and the dome isn't as dumb as with the regular P29s.

That P29 has been modified from stock.
uh yeah..
I realized that after I posted :/ then I decided "fuck it he should see its been modded lol remo cant be that blind"
yes i know they've been modded
assuming you are doing NA?
yes N/A
what bore size are going to?
75.50mm or 76mm
both the pm3 and pg6 work out to be about the same compression, guess the real questions is above deck or flush

just a thought
yes that is a thought
Honda D16A6 High Compression .040 over pistons - Unused - eBay (item 180598011156 end time Dec-10-10 15:29:09 PST)
i am about to throw money on it.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Heeltoeauto doesn't have the pdn pistons remo?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
did you end up wining the pistons?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did you end up wining the pistons?
hell yeah.. SCORED!!! $122.50 plus $25 shipped. woo hoo.

and my motor will look like this...

god damn bro how many builds do you have now? GL i might be slapping a turbo on my ride soon.
just one, my DOHC ZC is done, just tiding up loose ends. so i'm looking towards the future. i have enough parts to build 2 motors. lol.

now i just might need to sell these STD SRP w/rings now.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
good deal, figured they might go better with your rods and be a little more forgiving if detonation happens to occur

1 - 20 of 37 Posts