Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sound quality is shitty, but that looks like serious detonation to me.

Who tuned it? when was it tuned (like what temperature)?
Specs on the setup?

Youre giving us ZERO information to go on...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was tuned by Pittsburgh performance. I just put a brand new bov and waistegate on it. Not sure what temp it was for, but that video was around 50-60 degrees. What are some signs of detonation? I am running an s300, 880cc precisions, 255 walboro fuel pump, omni 4 bar map sensor.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There are a few signs, most notably it makes a particular sound, kinda like sharp ticking and popping from the exhaust, almost like the sound of small rocks banging around in there. If its bad enough the engine will break up like in your video and it can even make boost bounce around.
The other thing is you can see it on the spark plugs.
Did you just make this video? if so, pull your plugs out and see if you can take a decent picture of them up close (use a bright light, no flash).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Any small greyish/siler "specks" on hte white insulator part of the plug?

From what I can tell from that blurry pic they look ok

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Also what gap are you running on the plugs? Have you tried gapping them smaller?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Those plugs seem really oily. How are the o ring gaskets on your valve cover??

Sounds like a waste gate problem to me because when it opens, it gets all crazy.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
sounds like he is blowing out spark to me.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Plugs look fine to me, it would be obvious if it was detonating bad enough to make it break up.

They do look to be gapped a lil big

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
gap the plugs.

when you are boosted you have to close the gap on the plugs or you will blow out spark.

iv had good experience with a .025 plug gap to a .022 plug gap. really should have to go down further than that.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts