Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it seems to be my first post here so maybe a small introduction would be nice.. I'm an automotive engineering student from Finland, and buildin a D16Z6 all-motor setup for my '90 hatch (has originally D15B2 dpfi engine, I think its DX in US or something)..

Well, my engine.. I'm hoping to get +160whp from it(and I know its high).

-Crower stage 3 cam and valvetrain kit
-Home made ITB setup (inc. whole manifold), 42mm from CBR954RR. 9" long
-My own made 4-1 header. It's basicly a hybrid of HyTech and Bisimoto designs. 1 5/8" primaries, anti-reversion chambers, 26" long, merged collector (tapers from ~2" to 2.5" outlet). 2.5" high-flow cat (Catco maybe, I can get them for cheap) and 2.5" exhaust. That's because I feel 2" is small and 2.25" stuff is pretty hard/expensive to get here.
-All headworks etc by me (I've some experience with these things)
-PM7 pistons and rods
-VEMS http://vems.hu standalone engine management, coil-on-plug direct ignition etc
-ACT XTSS Xtreme clutch and ProLite flywheel, all ARP-hardware, Walbro 255lph... and another "usual things"

The cost for this fun is gonna stay below 2 grands, so maybe its not too much..
I'll post some pics a later (there's a plenty of them)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've gotta see that header! Very nice setup for under 2G. Good luck with the ignition and tuning!

Why did you choose Coil-On-Plug though?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one pic from the header;

It's my first own-made header, and I'm not a professional welder, so it's not very pretty.. But should work. It's gonna get a sand blasting and ceramic coating. Maybe even a heat wrap too. It also looks a bit funny, but it's very tight space in ED body..

Also a couple of pics from the ITBs;

I decided to do it all by myself, so I can get exactly what I want. ATM I'm driving with those in my old D15 engine, and finding some tune..

Why did I choose Coil-On-Plug?

-I want to be modern and get rid of the old-fashioned dizzy
-Powerful COPs are same price/cheaper than a quality set of plug leads(which are wearing parts, just like dizzy rotor/cap too)
-My engine management allows it very easily
-I might learn something when doing that

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
nice project!

Love the homemade headers especially the anti reversion chambers!

Going to be very interesting to see some numbers.

Coil on Plug?!?! :TU: :bravo:

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Nice build. Welcome to the site and good luck with your build. This project and the fact your actually doing it makes for one hell of an introduction. PR4U. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again guys (and gals too).
Some progress here lol.

I got my header "finished"; sandblasted it and applied some VHT FlameProof ceramic coating. There's a couple of light spots, and I ran out of VHT.. When trying to buy more, I heard VHT factory has burned down recently.. ship hapns :(
Now I think I'll gonna put some nice heat wrap to it too 8)

You can see the nipples for O2 and EGT sensors.

Another progress too; I got rid of my MegaSquirt and replaced it with the excellent VEMS standalone ecu. Now I've got it pretty well tuned, works really well and has a lots of damn cool features like integrated wideband lambda controller, LCD display (for all engine measurements information, like TRUE A/F ratio (wideband), temperatures (iat, clt, egt) etc etc.. :cool:

Also finally got a big shipment from TunerToys, all fasteners ARP, ACT XTSS clutch kit and ProLite flywheel etc etc.. I also had an honor to be their first client who bought ACT products from them. Excellent company, communication and service from them :TU:

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
oh yeah SeXy ass ITB setup as well! keep up the pimpage work

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jimmyb34 said:
so what kind of power are you looking to get? PLEASE just convince me that its worth it for me to use the itbs i have on the way and not just turbo lol
As ryan already quoted, I'm looking for +160WHP. Breaking the 200 crank hp is my secret dream lol.

About the ITBs. I dunno with chipped Honda ECUs, but with proper standalone (even with MegaSquirt) you can get pretty damn good throttle response and very wide powerband. You need Alpha-N (calculates pulsewidth basically from TPS position and rpm, discards MAP) control algorithm with these. I got zero vacuum with ~20% throttle opening at <3000rpm, not very nice for a daily driver with part throttle usage and fuel economy in mind. AFAIK this can be aplied to PGM-FI too with chrome/turboedit/uberdata or something.

In my D15B2 setup [fully worked head, 10.4:1 comp, A7 (=A6 w/o cat) camshaft and stock(!) cast exh. manifold + stock exhaust] I didn't notice almost any loss of torque at low rpm (maybe below 1500, not really interested..) and damn strong pull from 4500 - 8000rpm compared to stock D16A7 int. manifold. Fuel economy also suffered a bit.

I think ITBs really rock on hi-power NA engine, but they must be big enough. These 42mm are definately NOT too big for 1.5 engine. If easier/cheaper to obtain, I would go for 46mm. Those 36...38mm from 600cc engines really are not for serious engines.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, some progress here again..
Actually, a lot.

Now I've
- Finished porting my head. I used Endyn articles as a model, and did what I've experienced good. I'm gonna get the head flowed next week, and post the results later. I also re-shaped the valves and made swirl-polish to intake valves, polished exh.valves. Intake valve stems are narrowed 0.50mm.

- Installed Golden Eagle block guard, glass bead blasted the outer side of the block and honed cylinders.

- Crank, flywheel and pressure plate balanced, crank journals polished (I used ScotchBrite medium, red). Crank was amazingly in perfect balance, and they had to take only 4g away from the ACT flywheel-pressureplate combo! not bad I think 8)

- Finished my vacuum log. I made it from big aluminium bar ment for fuel rails.

I've just been blueprinting the bottom end, and are almost ready for assembly! Engine should be running in ~two weeks maybe (I'm studying a 160km/100miles away from my garage, so possible to work only at weekends..)

I'll get the header wrap etc stuff at the end of the week too, and some missing parts (gaskets etc).

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
woot! cant wait to see the end of this build!

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Sick build. It'll be nice to see what kind of numbers you make. I saw you said you used the metal bar for fuel rails for the vacumn log; what other materials did you use when making it?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
boostdeliquent said:
I saw you said you used the metal bar for fuel rails for the vacumn log; what other materials did you use when making it?
Well, I just used some generic brass fittings and nipples, drilled/tapped the fuel rail etc.. Here it is before assembly;

1 - 20 of 333 Posts