Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Good thing you caught it early enough. My old Aem 3 bolts holding up so far

·
Registered
477 Posts
ANOTHER ONE WTF!

after seeing them crack at the bolt holes I figured it was just due to over-torquing the bolts But now lookin at Yours toaster.. I don't trust mine anymore.

its not worth risking my motor over there shitty designed cam gear if it breaks. The design is retarded honestly.. they basically took way to much material off of the gear to save weight and it made it weak as shit.

mine is coming off as of as soon as my buddy club 4 bolt cam gets here*just ordered*

Im taking my AEM sticker under my hood off also!! lol

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
If Aem really had to do a 5 bolts I would have designed it like this

Only other cam gear I would use would be GE or stock for stock head.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Not worried, over 30,000 miles of nothing but abuse. Still looks mint!
I'm sure toaster's did too until this first stress crack showed up...

when you see only aftermath pics, it's easy to say "well the cam must have seized up or something" but to me, this proves the gears themselves are a likely culprit

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Next time I pull my VC ill take a peek at mine.

2 years, no issues.... crosses fingers

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I'm sure toaster's did too until this first stress crack showed up...

when you see only aftermath pics, it's easy to say "well the cam must have seized up or something" but to me, this proves the gears themselves are a likely culprit
Considering im making about as much tq as everyone in hear combined, no issues not even worried.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Considering im making about as much tq as everyone in hear combined, no issues not even worried.
it isn't torque that causes this... more like stress fatigue and a sharp edged stress riser to start a crack.

throw in stiff springs and an aggressively ramped cam and you're loading these gears more

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd almost bet it has lest to do with torque of the engine and more to do with fatigue due to resonance.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This is a Stock Y8 Head/Cam/Springs,

Assembly is to Stock Spec.

I could spin the head over with my hands on the cam gear.

The failure arises from the design/material. As The GreanTeam and Shoebox pointed out above, not only the engine output.

It's not if, it's when.

It looks perfectly fine until this happens, and then the design is compromised and allowed to release,

I suggest you use a stronger design, or a stock camgear with the right indexing unless you have a reason to be far out.

A stock Y8 Gear is spoked and looks pretty bad ass if you're going for style points, and are a stronger material.

I also found it is safe to run without a lower timing cover (For the most part, driving on the road, and forward on rocks) and is safer and cooler looking than an AEM cam gear. If you do wanna trade some safety for style points. I suspect sliding in the rocks may cause an injury on the engine, but there are too many variables to predict.

In all honesty though, it allows things to fall out, rather than get trapped in the bottom of the lower timing cover, which is terrible.

·
Registered
844 Posts
no lower timing cover? really?on the street?

my last aem took 2 years abuse then sold and still running, somewhere northern of 80,000 miles on it

I have seen a broken y8 gear on this forum before, possibly more than one

only time torque should be brought up as a argument should be, whats put on the bolts?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts