Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update:
COMP replaced the cam for free even though it was never registered, 1 month out of warranty period and not used with their springs and retainers.

"Hey Phil,
I just wanted to let you know that we received your camshaft. I talked to my guy in warranty and we are going to replace it for you. The order will be put in today and they will start grinding your camshaft tomorrow. You should see your new camshaft at the beginning of next week probably. Let me know what you think please sir. Have a good one! "

+1 for andrew @ COMP customer service

Broke in according to instructions but had to shorten slightly because of a leak. Rotella T synthetic changed every 2.5k. OEM retainers Supertech springs :(

I'm going to try something with a y7 head and Delta cam.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was installed about 12k ago. I was recommended Rotella T by their tech dept. I have heard great things about the Brad Penn I'll give it a shot if I can find it locally. I won't be taking the head apart for another month or so but I will update then with pictures of the rockers.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If you go to there website they will tell you where to source there oil in your area I was surprised how many placed carried the stuff to be honest. But shit 12k miles damn thats some bullshit there. I would call them up see what they say.
especially since you followed THEIR tech advice!

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
especially since you followed THEIR tech advice!
This. I'd say light a fire under their ass, but I see "sorry sir, you must have installed it wrong" coming your way.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are 2 places within walking distance. Awesome! I'm pretty bummed about it really, I spent a chunk of change on this head. They eliminated their hotline with some BS comp cam forum and a number that is always busy so I shot them an e-mail. I do believe that I don't have a leg to stand on becasue I don't have COMP springs and retainers.

I wish I would've known that Delta made z6 grinds when I got this cam.

Bygones are bygones, I'll take it apart and come back harder in a few months. One of these days I will have a hairdryer on this motor!

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
The reason why I say away from the zex/comp cam just for that reason. It's a hit or miss kind of deal I guess.
But the shit that kills me is that I dont see where they are rectifying the issue wtf is that. But this does seem to happen more to the 59300 but that could be because they sell alot more of the 300 as opposed to the 500. Im not seeing what springs and retainers have to do with the cam wiping a lobe. Im sure this would have happened if you had stock springs.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
i never had a problem with my 105300 cam, would synthetic oil have anything to do with this? Cause I just used normal 10w40.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
^rotellas not a synthetic... i dont think anyways

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Man that's sh!tty. I have a 59100(stock replacement) and have over 75k on it. I don't think I have ever looked at it besides a glance or two when adjusting valves. This makes me worry...

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
why are you using an SM oil? go with an SL oil like mobil1 high Mileage or like mentioned brad penn. high zinc and phosporus and thats what keeps that shit from happening. Rotella is not SL idk why they would recommend that oil.

·
Registered
89 ed
476 Posts
Rotella is the same oil both machine shops in this town uses to break in engines, i heard that they recently changed formula though to make up for diesel emissions. I dunno though i use 15w40 out of 55 gal drums here at the wrecking yard, military grade shell i think, good enough for them good enough for my 5.9 360 dodge, and 180k miles B2

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why are you using an SM oil? go with an SL oil like mobil1 high Mileage or like mentioned brad penn. high zinc and phosporus and thats what keeps that shit from happening. Rotella is not SL idk why they would recommend that oil.
HAHA, I ran high mileage M1 before the cam but dude at COMP told me to switch to Rotella because it had more zinc and phosphorus.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
HAHA, I ran high mileage M1 before the cam but dude at COMP told me to switch to Rotella because it had more zinc and phosphorus.
Did they tell you Synthetic Rotella? Comp told me specifically to run non-synthetic Rotella in my 393w.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
regular mobil 1 maybe but not the high mileage. all rotella is SM rated synthetic or not. therefore it has drastically reduced zinc and phosphorus in it. Im running the M1 high mileage syn right now in my civ. so far after 1000 miles none used what so ever and it still looks clean on the dipstick

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
regular mobil 1 maybe but not the high mileage. all rotella is SM rated synthetic or not. therefore it has drastically reduced zinc and phosphorus in it. Im running the M1 high mileage syn right now in my civ. so far after 1000 miles none used what so ever and it still looks clean on the dipstick
I just checked and it is indeed SM :( I knew SM was bad but never even bothered to check the Rotella. I'm going to keep the Rotella until I get the money to try out a different cam and rocker that has been intriguing me lately then I will try the Brad Penn out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts