Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday I managed to pick up a swell deal... A cylinder head for 30 bucks!!! ported and polished, 3 angle valve job, and no damage to the rocker arm assembly. but here`s the bad... (not really bad at all XD) the lefthand side valve cover screw hole is a disaster. its been previously compounded, and redrilled and tapped. looks like an amateur job at best, so i`ll hafta have a machine shop look at it. either way, it can still be salvaged, and i got a HUGE deal. my plans for a build of it are: Blox dual valve springs/retainers, ferrea flatfaced valves, and unsure what company to go to for a cam. any suggestions, and what hp gains, and max powerbuilding RPM am I looking at? thanks!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
It may or may not be a deal (depends on a bunch of things). Is the head flat or is it warped? Who did the P&P (it's easy to screw on up a P&P so that you're not flowing as much CFM as you would stock)? Who did the valve job (Bubba's Machine Shop, Salon, and Taxidermy may do a good job, may not)?

Listen to Prelude Pat, helicoil it. Better yet, let a machine shop helicoil it.

Delta cam.

And the only way we can speak accurately on HP gains is if you give us more details. I.E. motor? Car? Other Mods?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i`ve already taken it to a buddy of mine who does a little machine work in his spare time (good work too. used to work for a reputable local machine shop) he said the head is fine, the pnp will need a little touchin up, but nothing major, and to get a new rocker assembly. i thought that since the bolts only held 7ftlbs, it wouldnt be much of a big deal, but i`ll check into a new one.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Then ya you got a good deal. See here's the problem, to drill it out and retap it you'd have to also drill out the seal that sits in the valve cover in order to accomidate for a larger aftermarket bolt. You'd likely get into the rubber grommet at which point the seal becomes almost useless.

You're best sticking with OEM hardware which means NOT drilling out the hole and retapping it to a larger fastener. AKA helicoil it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
theres no way to remove it and put an oem one there? i would suspect it would almost be like a non-vtec head. but then again i know im wrong. lol

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
You can't buy an OEM piece; and you can try to replace it from a donor motor but you have to make sure it'll fit correctly(they're line-bored from the factory and the head/rocker caps are sold as one assembly).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts