Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sorry for double thread, didnt realize i posted this in the wrong forum thus why i was getting no responses....

Since i only have 70k miles on this new d16y7 motor.....i kind of want to let it run for its life....get the most i can out of it and not toy with it at all in terms of performance....i was thinking the other day is building up a whole new motor...with all sorts of goodies, new rods, pistons etc...sleeved the whole deal. As i go about doing this i would obviously be learning more and this would be a slow process as i build this up...

I was curious as to how to go about doing this....what is the ideal way of starting a whole new engine build....as far as parts...meaning what is necessary....and what are the parts that are generally upgraded....like rods, pistons, boreing and so on...

is this something a motivated individual could do?, and that is willing to learn and do properly...wether this be a B series or D series motor...im a business major student...not a auto tech student...but like i said, if im going to do something, im going to do it right...and i figured since alot of you seem to be very knowledgable i figured id ask you guys.

any opinions, advice? this is a serious route for me to go considering my hatch is my only car...and toying with it while i drive it as a daily could be risky....say something was to happen.

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
buy another y7..have the head ported..send the cam out to delta for a grind......purchase some GX pistons..a bisimoto header....maybe get a z6 or y8 trans....thats a good start. You would have a fairly snappy car if you did those things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as assembly, is this stuff straight forward? id imagine it would be...i was nosing around with my old d16y7 that had seized and after finally seeing how the engine works and what stuff was i feel a little more confident in going about building an engine....not totally confident but much more comfortable...in considering it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well, first question would be what exactly are your goals? Here's what I did. Currently boosting my z6 at 9 lbs. Last summer I wanted to build the motor but because it was a daily driver I didn't want to have any downtime. I just kept my eyes out and found a block and head for about $150. I am currently slowly purchasing all the parts for the build in a few months. I'm only looking for 300 horses so I'm doing the budget build that everyone's talking about. if everything goes as planned, it should just be a weekend project to switch everything in and out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I just finished putting together my first solo engine build. An all motor Y7. You can check the link in my sig to see whats been done. Theres a list of mods on the last page in the thread. Also you can see its taken me best part of the last year to do it!

Like i said, it was my furst time stripping down an engine and building it back for performance. Just make certain you are sure what you want from it. From my point of view, i spent an awful lot more money than i initially set out to spend. Part of the reason for that is because of high English prices on some parts though.

There is a lot more that can be done, besides what i have on mine. For example there are ITb's, or even carbs, which is something i might look into after talking to Bisi.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, first question would be what exactly are your goals? Here's what I did. Currently boosting my z6 at 9 lbs. Last summer I wanted to build the motor but because it was a daily driver I didn't want to have any downtime. I just kept my eyes out and found a block and head for about $150. I am currently slowly purchasing all the parts for the build in a few months. I'm only looking for 300 horses so I'm doing the budget build that everyone's talking about. if everything goes as planned, it should just be a weekend project to switch everything in and out.
thanks for the replys guys, at this point, im set on building an engine solo, now my only problem is finding out what i want to do...NA or Turbo...Ive always loved boost...my first car was boosted so i figured ill go that route...now ill just need to research some good combos...id love to achieve close to 300hp being that it is still a formidable daily driver .

·
Registered
122 Posts
if your goal is around 300, you won't even need to put in sleeves. Just do a Eagle/TT rods and Vitara piston combo and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think now...the only thing that bugs me is the actually little pieces that i might miss...as far as screws and bolts...assuming i have them is okay....but knowing what i have and dont have to me is what kind of bugs me about starting one....im almost excited to get this going....just need to do some researchin

·
Registered
598 Posts
i think now...the only thing that bugs me is the actually little pieces that i might miss...as far as screws and bolts...assuming i have them is okay....but knowing what i have and dont have to me is what kind of bugs me about starting one....im almost excited to get this going....just need to do some researchin
I put everythign in bags and wrote on the bag what it was inside. Theres not as much as you would expect to have to keep in order. And anyway, you always have the few bits left over at the end and dont know where they go!

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
if you are looking for 300 than its going to cost alot more from what i understand for it to be a daily driver because being fast and reliable cost money. correct me somebody if i am wrong here.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you are looking for 300 than its going to cost alot more from what i understand for it to be a daily driver because being fast and reliable cost money. correct me somebody if i am wrong here.
i can't be positive (since i haven't started my build yet) but 300 is not hard to reach, and its not very expensive either... my biggest problem so far is just finding some rods for a good price...

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
300 isnt the easiest to reach without some cash and if you do with little cash you either have alot of handouts or an unreliable track car

·
Registered
510 Posts
hmmm whats an achievable range of power thats safe for daily driving....but being able to hold its own with most cars?
If you're driving the thing I say 180 lb/ft torque is probably as much as you can shoot for and still be able to put the pedal to the floor without your tires smoking. 240-260 in horsepower terms. This is with an LSD of course. Without an LSD expect to have mad wheel spin and an inability to go around corners with the gas pedal pressed. :)

IMO there is such a thing as too much power. Once you reach a certain point in a front wheel drive car it becomes hard to handle. Personally, I like having a good power band where you can take off from 2500 rpms and have some balls that and being able to floor it and not have to worry so much about traction.. Which is probably why I am going to run a DX tranny.

Flame away :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a small Turbo yet I'm pretty confident I should be pushing close to 300 (I would be plenty happy with just 275) with a overestimated budget of $2000. That will include a new clutch and LSD. you just have to make sure you do everything that's needed at this point. No more shortcuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts