Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though this might be of interest to some as its not commonly seen on hondas...

This is the car they are in.

The car has been my project for the last five years, I've been building it for track days but inevitably got caught up in 'the build' too much forgetting to actually get it on the track, now the dellortos are on I can focus on tuning them and using it for its intended purpose.

Spec is as follows;

Engine
D16y3 Non vtec
Dellorto DHLA 45E
Delta 272 cam + VMS cam gear
50mm Ram stacks
-AN6 Fuel fittings through out
Malpassi Filter king FPR
Solid Fabrications 2.5" manifold back exhaust
4-2-1 DC sports Manifold
4kg F1 flywheel
Stage 1 ‘Competition clutch’ d16z6 clutch set up
PAS removed
Energy linkage bushes
Tegiwa Race spec shifter
Explicit Speed Performance poly engine mounts 70A
Hybrid L3 Gearbox – 4.4 FD, 3.25,1.944,1.346,1.033,0.878

Chassis
Meister Rs
ES Polybushed front control arms
ES polybushed end links
Cyberspeed rear control arms
Whiteline adjustable radius rods(for increased caster)
282mm discs with Wilwood Midilite Calipers
MGZS 260mm Rear brake set up
Braided hoses all round(Goodridge/HEL)
Hardrace Front camber arms with hardened rubber bushes
Rear camber arms
Superforma 20mm spacers on the front
10mm Wing spacers to gain extra clearance

Wheels and tyres
Enkei Racing peaks 15x6.5”
AD08 Yokohama Neova 195/50/15

Interior
Momo wooden steering wheel
Momo boss
Snap off boss
Old school Recaro KST(Allegedly from police sierra cosworth)
Vtec door cards
Innovate Wideband MXT-L
TIM Vacuum Gauge

I'll try and upload a few decent videos when I get the chance as its sounds glorious,

Lee

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vacuum advance distributor.

The lower model d series cars in the uk came carb'd with a vac advance dizzy.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Does the ecu control the RPM based advance? Or is it mechanical?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No ecu, mechanical advance.

Banger racers use then a lot in there cars as they can run a car on two wires.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ive only ever delt with mechanical advance on american cars, never on any imports. But yea mechanical advance is cool when it works right and matches the engine well. But I imagine it is a bitch to tune unless someone makes all the various weights and springs setups to tune tbat particular dizzy properly.

Even then on cars this old maintaince can be an issue, a little gunk in there and your timing maps go to shit. Must be fun finding someone to tune it too.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I think I am in love.

I want to hear my carbs scream on a zc under the hood of my sedan some day. This looks beautiful.

Have any vids for sound?...because you know we want to hear it.

edit: Just saw the video part at the end....waits patiently.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive only ever delt with mechanical advance on american cars, never on any imports. But yea mechanical advance is cool when it works right and matches the engine well. But I imagine it is a bitch to tune unless someone makes all the various weights and springs setups to tune tbat particular dizzy properly.

Even then on cars this old maintaince can be an issue, a little gunk in there and your timing maps go to shit. Must be fun finding someone to tune it too.
Seems to do well on this engine, the stock engine is a D14. However i plan to go electronic ignition at somepoint.

Cheers gents, gunna try and grab some sound clips tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Seems to do well on this engine, the stock engine is a D14. However i plan to go electronic ignition at somepoint.

Cheers gents, gunna try and grab some sound clips tomorrow.
Yea, I cant really say crap about correct timing seeing how my daily has a 140hp b18a1 with upgraded exhaust, cai and port mis matching running on a stock p06 ecu that was made to run a 102hp d15b7.....

Your timing is probably closer to optimal than mine....

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
how does it sounds? no exhaust sound clips?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wish I knew more about carbs and older setups like this cool read
I do wish I had a chance to play around with some imported stuff with carbs. Ive done american carbs they are not bad. I mean for a basic smallblock its like buy an intake and slap on a 650 CFM Eddlebrock, $300 and fuel and intake is done.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I apparently cannot give you any more feedback but that thing is super clean. Great job

I do wish I had a chance to play around with some imported stuff with carbs. Ive done american carbs they are not bad. I mean for a basic smallblock its like buy an intake and slap on a 650 CFM Eddlebrock, $300 and fuel and intake is done.
Like this? :sailor:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all!

I have a few sound clips just need to upload them to youtube.

And Mitch untill about two months ago I never really began tuning the carbs I knew the basics. But it's relatively easy stuff, just get a wideband and have a play. Tuning WOT is relatively easy, it seems getting the idle circuit pinned down on these is the more difficult bit.

Ideally I wanna book some dyno time to tune WOT 100%, so I can play with cam timing and it ignition timing while I'm there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a few sound clips, they're not great but you get the idea.

Quick launch, car was over revving due to no limiter, so had to snatch second early and it bogged down.

Shitty flyby

In car, not much to see as its a sound clip excuse the filthy windscreen. Covered in bugs from B road blasts.

Enjoy,

Lee

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Sounds good mane. :TU:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers marc!

Managed to borrow a set of 90mm stacks from a friend with jenveys to see if i could broaden the power band a bit, it is/was really good anyway. It wasn't particularly peaky but it definitely had a more up top than below.
My stacks were 50mm so i've added another 40mm to the total intake length.

I am yet to take it for a proper run, but from the brief drive i had in it, it definitely has more mid range, however it seemed to die of a little up top. Shall do some more testing and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts