Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic ex
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another question for you guys. Where is the best place to run the amp power cable? I tried to find a hole in the firewall but came up with nothing. Searched all the threads and came up with nothing. I would appreciate it if you could include a pic of your locations. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i don't have any pics right now but we drilled a hold in my firewall and put a little rubber grommet around it to seal it off....be sure you run the power cable on the opposite side of the rca's and remote

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
what year is the car? look for a grommet somewhere on the firewall and run the cable through. If you do have to drill it, make sure you put a grommet in the hole to keep the wire from shorting.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
I found a rubber gromet on my Eg around the battery area on the passenger side and I sent the cable under the carpet to the back.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
were is the amp going to be located? and what year/model?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
there are numerous grommets behind the battery and under the clutch reservoir

what year civic? stupid question but is it an automatic? if so you can drill safely right where the clutch pedal should go...very easy to tell by looking at it, might have to pull some sound deadening carpet away but its cut like a diamond.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
just remember to put the rca's and remote wire on the opposite side of the car, otherwise you get this annoying whine coming from them and you can even get interferance...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if the amp is for subs then you don't really need to worry about running the RCA's on the oppisite side of the car (the sub's can produce that high-frequency buzzing)

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
just remember to put the rca's and remote wire on the opposite side of the car, otherwise you get this annoying whine coming from them and you can even get interferance...
from experience, i dont truly buy into this. i usually only have noise from a bad ground or CHEAP RCAs.

pretty much all the amps ive done had their power and signal wires run along the same path more out of convenience than anything and no issues.

Reactions: EJ1 SCRAPPIN

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've heard good installs with a common wiring path (power and signal) as well. But if possible, I do try to route separately, if only for theory's sake.

I've found that the ECU's more of a problem with signal cables than the power wire. As long as ur elec system's up to snuff, that power cable should be carrying a steady 12VDC.

PM

·
Registered
138 Posts
i agree w/ rattmann316 i have been working professionally w/ car audio for about 4 years and i always run the power w/ the rca's. If you need to run a 4 channel amp run a good set of twisted rcas and it will help, also if you have a cheap amp thats when you run into problems with the amp not filtering out the noise. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you have a 92-95 civic there should be a hole next to your throttle cable, thats where ran mine

·
It's that time again
MAIN ONE IZ A CIVCSI
5,369 Posts
i agree w/ rattmann316 i have been working professionally w/ car audio for about 4 years and i always run the power w/ the rca's. If you need to run a 4 channel amp run a good set of twisted rcas and it will help, also if you have a cheap amp thats when you run into problems with the amp not filtering out the noise. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
x3

·
Registered
97 civic ex
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oops shoulda mentioned the year. Sorry guys. It's a 97 Ex.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
what gauge wire are you using? if its 8ga then open your hood and look by your clutch reservoir. there should be a small, black plastic circle measuring less than 1inch in diameter attached to the firewall. remove this and place a snap grommet in its place or drill out the plastic that you just removed and re use it. you could take your battery out and get an antenna and poke in that grommet there too just be careful not to pierce any wires. buddy o mine did that on a jeep and it started and lurched forward on him.

·
Registered
681 Posts
here is a pic of where i ran mine when i put the batt in the rear this is in a eg but you should still have a hole somewhere around this area

·
Registered
46 Posts
that is fine. I was going to say, drill a damn hole if you can't find a gromet. Its always rule of thumb to run the power and rca cables 16 inches away from each other. If you are running car stereo wire, your fine, as it has a huge jacket. if your like me and run welding wire, you may want to consider it, but from the pic, your doing just fine!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts