Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step 1: Clean the surface of the taillight with soapy water or rubbing alcohol. Do not use any chemical that contains ammonia because it tends to dissolve the adhesive of the film.

Step 2: Spray soapy water on the surface of the taillight and carefully place the film over the amber part of the taillight a small section at a time without fully peeling off the adhesive. With your fingers, sqeeze out all the water and bubbles to the edge. A blow dryer will make it easier to remove any wrinkles or bubbles.

Step 3: With a X-Acto knife, trace over the amber part of the taillight and remove the excess film.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or you can get Transparent red hobby paint and paint it and still look stock.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooooh.... and just put it over the amber part on the taillight?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are my 4th gen tails painted all red. didn't sand anything...just cleaned them first and painted 3 coats of transparent candy apple red over everything and an extra red coat on the parts that used to be amber...then added 3 coats of clearcoat...paid about $15cdn for paint from a hobby shop. here's the pic:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One problem with this is that the tails are not shiny like stock taillights. It's up to you guys, its a matter of preference. But, you can just pay a professional to spray them with transparent paint and it will look stock, like it's part of the plastic. My friend had it done and it looks perfect. I painted my tails with that paint like you guys are doing, and they weren't nearly as nice.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wet sand and polish compound every 2-3 coats followed by an untouched final coat and it will look OE 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well u cant really tell in my pic but my lights still are shiny...they look a lot better the factor with amber...even my gf says so and she hates cars and everything i do to them so i know its gotta look nice lol

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
dxmannn said:
Step 1: Clean the surface of the taillight with soapy water or rubbing alcohol. Do not use any chemical that contains ammonia because it tends to dissolve the adhesive of the film.

Step 2: Spray soapy water on the surface of the taillight and carefully place the film over the amber part of the taillight a small section at a time without fully peeling off the adhesive. With your fingers, sqeeze out all the water and bubbles to the edge. A blow dryer will make it easier to remove any wrinkles or bubbles.

Step 3: With a X-Acto knife, trace over the amber part of the taillight and remove the excess film.
Do you think you can tell us what film you are talking about that does help out. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts