Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here had thermostat problems after changing to an aluminum radiator?

I've been struggling with this issue for a couple of months.

If I'm standing in traffic, it'll work fine will open and engage the fan at right temperatures.

If I'm flogging the engine and going really fast, it'll work fine and stay even a lil under the temps.

If I'm at constant speed and low rpms, itll overheat, just a little over normal temp, revving the engine will make it open. If I'm using AC, it'll go to the end of the gauge and boil the reservoir.

I thought it was the thermostat, took out the one I had(not oem), and replaced it with a new Honda Thermostat . It got even worse. it overheated untill the end of the gauge, to the point the reservoir started boiling. Revving the engine didn't open the thermostat this time.

I had to stop at a parking lot and take out the thermostat and it ran perfectly cool (same temps as flogging the engine, as in a lil under the normal temp)

I'm at a loss here. Suggestions? Ideas?

I have no leaks

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Sounds like air in the system.

When you changed the radiator did you turn the heat all the way on inside the car when you started it? Did you open the bleeder screw to let any air out? Did you let it get all the way to operating temp and see if the t-stat opened after bleeding?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the bleeder thing. Couldn't do the last part because the shop was closing already. drove home overheated removed the Tstat in a parking lot and went home.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks awesome. You guys in the US have the best stuff.

I will exchange the tstat for a new one at the dealership and be more throrough with the bleeding process. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts