Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me how to change my alternator in my 1989 crx si ? I want to do it myself.. and I have no clue how.

Help me plz

Thx

·
Registered
1998 Acura Integra
736 Posts
It is pretty simple, you will have to first disconnect your negative battery cable. then there is a bolt that holds the alternator to an adjustment bracket, undo that. Then there is a bolt that holds the alternator at the bottom to the bracket, pull that too. Now wiggle your alternator off so you can pop the wiring out of the back and disconnect the wire that is held to the alternator by a nut. Then do the opposite to get it back in. This is on 92-95 so it should be the same or similar for older d's. I hope i didn't forget anything but good luck with it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
1) Jack up the car, and secure on stands
2) Disconnect neg battery cable
3) Remove the two connections on the alternator. One will be held in place by either a 10mm or 12mm nut. The other will be a simple harness clip...that should be green.
4) Remove the tensioner backet bolt. You'll see an arched backet(thats the tensioner bracket)
5) There is a bolt & nut that joins the alternator to a backet. This backet in turn is bolted to the block of the engine. Remove that bolt & nut, and then wiggle the alternator until you can remove it.
And then do the reverse of this for the install. Now here is a BIG tip.
That backet that the alternator bolts to might not want to work with you very well. In other words, the alternator might not want to fit in there with ease. What do you do, you might ask?? Remove the backet from the block. Then slowly grind down the inside of the contact points that bracket. now make sure to do progressive test fits in order to make sure you didn't grind too much off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for helpin guys.
I'll do it in a hour or so..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
help
the bolt under the alternator doesnt want to come out.. how does it works ?? The alternator seems to sit on that big bolt that doesnt want to move. I removed the connector, wires, and the top braket.. but the damn alternator still stuck there...

Helpp !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
finally got the job done. :D

thx for advices

1 - 6 of 6 Posts