Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Hatch w/turbo/built Z6. Just got done tuning some last night, and did a 4th gear pull on the freeway on the way home. All of the sudden, car lost all main power. AVCR lost all power, only acc. power worked. Turned out I blew the alternator solenoid valve fuse. Replaced the blown 10A one with the 10A hazard fuse to get home.

So I searched on H-T and found this: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=343298

That's the same exact situation. Except I've put about 2k miles on the car with the walbro, then a full night of dyno tuning, then 1 freeway pull and it blows. What makes this fuse blow? Is it a bad alternator?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it if I only blew once, could just be a one time thing. Carry an extra one with you, and if it happens again start looking into it. Your alternator could be putting out alittle too much and if you are worried you could probably take it to autozone to get checked.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did some more reading around and that seems to be most peoples case. I just can't understand how with almost 40 runs on the dyno, the one run on the way home, it pops. Lol.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
yey I feel ya man shit is crazy and doesnt make sense but sometimes the simple shit will kill ya but I never had a problem with my fuel pump blowing fuses its kinda weird maybe someone should take it up with walboro but the pump prolly draws more current than stock who knows

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
im almost positive this is the same problem ryan89crx just had not to long ago with his walbro.... i think there is a 2 page ish thread somewhere

im pretty sure his final outcome so to say was he upgraded the fuse but i dont remember to what size

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
He put a 15A fuse in it, and dont go any higher unless you want to melt the insulation off the wires in that circuit, which will short it to ground and cause you many more problems.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don't know why you guys don't just hotwire the pump.Makes it perform better.It was wierd that when I hotwired mine the overall voltage of the car increased,and I have the ectune logs to prove.I guess the 225 pump really does need that much juice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if this is the same thing, but there's a trick you can to do make the Walbro flow a piss ton more fuel. Basically you just hook any relay up to the pump itself. 20A relay is fine. It works great for having the fuel flow support there. He said on one car they did this on, fuel pressure at idle jumped from 40psi to 70psi.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
fuses blow because of excess heat. maybe the turbo made the engine bay too hot? old ass fuse plus a lot of extra under the hood temps might of done it. its prolly not somethin to sweat too much.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "hotwire"? What are you bypassing?

Not sure if this is the same thing, but there's a trick you can to do make the Walbro flow a piss ton more fuel. Basically you just hook any relay up to the pump itself. 20A relay is fine. It works great for having the fuel flow support there. He said on one car they did this on, fuel pressure at idle jumped from 40psi to 70psi.

Yea that's what I was talking about.I use a 30 amp fuse.At idle mine jumped about 10 psi with nothing else changed.Your basically bypassing the stock wiring and relay and adding your own relay and power source right off the battery to provide the maximum voltage to the pump that you can.

I have never ran a walbro without re-wiring it.It's not like you "have" to but it makes it perform better,and is very cheap.I spent maybe 10 bucks at lowes for materials and didn't use all of it and I'm sure most of you guys might even have the shit laying around.It seems like this might be a good thing for you ef/ed guys.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
has anyone ever hotwired the stock fuel pump? would it burn the little guy out?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I did on my car before I had a walbro and spun a bearing on the old motor and it didn't burn it out.Saw a little bit of a psi jump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts