Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so fuck whichever guy engineered this shit and forgot to put a note saying "throw some anti-rust shit in there"

Im trying to remove the alternator on a 99 civic i just did a swap in for my GF, nothing fancy blown y8, had a y7 block threw the y8 head on it and its good to go.

i got the bolts on the top off and the nut on the bottom of the alternator off fine. now the bolt that goes through the bracket and allows the alternator to swing to put tension on the belt just will NOT come out

I used a sledge hammer on it, heat from a small propane torch ( i need oxy!!), a 4ft crow bar, air chisel, soaked in PB blaster, heated then soaked in PB NOTHING WORKS the part of the bracket that is closer to the pulley bloke but the other side just refuses to budge.

im extremely frustrated and any help or advice is much appreciated and rep will be distributed for any info

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
why dont you un-bolt the bracket (if you can) itself and remove it still attached to the alternator..?

·
Registered
same
157 Posts
Oh, here we go.
I wrote this up three time but for some reason my pc wouldn't post.

You need to lock the square headed pivot bolt with vicegrips or something so it doesn't turn and then hammer the alt. back and forth to free the stupid pivot bolt. Once it's sort of free, mine never loosened up very much, you might need two someone to rotate the alt. while you hit the bolt out. You can punch the bolt or hammer the visegrips.

This took my brother and I about 5-6 hours and was a total pain. Working on old cars in NH isn't very fun.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, here we go.
I wrote this up three time but for some reason my pc wouldn't post.

You need to lock the square headed pivot bolt with vicegrips or something so it doesn't turn and then hammer the alt. back and forth to free the stupid pivot bolt. Once it's sort of free, mine never loosened up very much, you might need two someone to rotate the alt. while you hit the bolt out. You can punch the bolt or hammer the visegrips.

This took my brother and I about 5-6 hours and was a total pain. Working on old cars in NH isn't very fun.
i took an old 14mm wrench, ground the box end down so it fits even with the alt on undid the bolts holding the bracket to the block and it all came out together took about 20 minutes :D

and yeah you have to get creative with NH cars lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts