Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic DX
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my car for a couple years and for a while now no problems but now the alternator is going again. This is probably the 7th time I've had to change it. Is this normal for about two years(i don't think it is) or what could cause it to keep going bad?

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic DX
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pulleys? by like not bein tightened and wobbling to the side and not spinning straight?

·
Registered
46 Posts
are they reman alternators? you may want to bench test the one you have, check the rectifier bridge and diodes. i dunno what could cause that many bad alternators, never heard of it

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
If you are buying rebuilds from AutoStoned of PepBoyeez: STOP! They suck. They suck hardcore. I have helped people who have installed the entire stock of alternators from one Autozone in one day. They suck that much. The best way to go is to find a local alternator rebuild place and pay them some money and buy one from there, or have yours rebuilt. You will most likely never have alternator issues again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If your pulleys are too tight, they'll wear the alternator bearings quickly. You don't say whether it's a mech or elect failure of the alternator(s), but I don't think you installed an alternator incorrectly seven times.

Along with what Acid says, where you source your alts from could use a second look, but also have someone check the mode of failure, unless it's readily obvious (melted insulation, grinding noises, etc.). It could give some insight on the extent of your problem.

PM

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
If you are buying rebuilds from AutoStoned of PepBoyeez: STOP! They suck. They suck hardcore. I have helped people who have installed the entire stock of alternators from one Autozone in one day. They suck that much. The best way to go is to find a local alternator rebuild place and pay them some money and buy one from there, or have yours rebuilt. You will most likely never have alternator issues again.
I've known guy to saiy things like "it was cheap & has a lifetime warranty so I don't care how many I go through". Well, my time is worth more to me. Get a good quality replacement & be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts