Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 honda civic LX with the 1.5L 1493cc sohc d-series non-vtec engine. i recently purchased an alternator and it came with a 3 groove pullley. everything else fits in my stock location, but my original pulley is a 2 groove. now before everyone tells me to switch pulleys, my stock alternator pulley has a smaller diameter than my aftermarket one. Therefore i should lose power output capabilities. correct? can i use the 2 groove belt on my 3 groove pulley? i dont think so, but the belt fits well on 2 of the 3 grooves, however i think it would move side to side (left to right) causing wear on the belt until it eventually broke.

some one help me!

p.s. its an aftermarket alt. with more output.. so i dont want to lose any of my charging capabilities.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
you can use smaller belts on larger pulleys. Unless your stuff is seriously off center or loose, the pulley won't jump teeth.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i would say use it if it doesnt fall off or move from side to side ..or just get the appropriate pulley or belt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well.. i chose to run it on the 2 inside grooves. thats what the manufacture told me to do and some people i talked to. it works fine so far.

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Dude you should take the belt to the auto parts store and get a 2 groove belt of the same circumference. It's better to use a 2 groove belt on a 3 groove pulley than a 3 groove belt on a 2 groove pulley. You don't want extra belt hanging off:TD:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts