Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have one? I've heard you can remove the hose that connects to the heater core and possibly gets rid of alot of the coolant in the block. Sohc ZC BTW.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,296 Posts
there should be a bolt on the front or rear of the block to drain coolant in the block. theres also the lower radiator drain plug that you can use

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there should be a bolt on the front or rear of the block to drain coolant in the block. theres also the lower radiator drain plug that you can use
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the bolt, but I'm looking for an alternative method of draining the block if possible.

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why ? use the rad bolt.

stratton.
I did. I've drained the radiator. I'm interested in draining the block of coolant because I have never done it since I've had the vehicle (6 years). Do you feel it's necessary to drain the block?

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I always remove the tsate and its hose.
Then remove the top rad hose on the head and use a water hose to flush it all out.
I've heard of people doing that also. When you say you use a water hose to flush, are you talking about just the radiator, or putting the water hose here:

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
I put the hose there and it goes through the head and block and comes out the t-stat housing where the lower rad hose goes.
This flushes out whats in the block.
I normally do this after a headgasket swap.

Then to flush the rad. You simple put the hose in the top and let it run out the bottom.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
the easiest way to clean it up is to run any branded bottle of cooling system cleaner and fill system with distilled water, and let it idle until fully warm. give it plenty of small revs to loosen junk, and then drain system, and start a cycle of using only distilled water and idling, doing multiple drain and refills until it comes clean.

flushing gets all the loose crap out. it doesnt really loosen up crap though.

plenty of buildup from years of operation that are waiting to be cleaned out.

Hell, popping the cylinder head off and pressure washing the jackets would work awesome, and you only need to drain the engine oil when you are done, for obvious reasons.

the freeze plug does not empty ALL the coolant out. just majority so you can do something like a head gasket without a big coolant mess

EDIT ^ ^ ^ EL OH EL ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the easiest way to clean it up is to run any branded bottle of cooling system cleaner and fill system with distilled water, and let it idle until fully warm. give it plenty of small revs to loosen junk, and then drain system, and start a cycle of using only distilled water and idling, doing multiple drain and refills until it comes clean.

flushing gets all the loose crap out. it doesnt really loosen up crap though.

plenty of buildup from years of operation that are waiting to be cleaned out.

Hell, popping the cylinder head off and pressure washing the jackets would work awesome, and you only need to drain the engine oil when you are done, for obvious reasons.

the freeze plug does not empty ALL the coolant out. just majority so you can do something like a head gasket without a big coolant mess

EDIT ^ ^ ^ EL OH EL ^ ^ ^
Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly not interested in flushing, as the helms or haynes manual doesn't recommend it (I'm trying to stick by the books).

I think flushing is something that people prefer to do for extra security.

I'm honestly thinking about just leaving whatever coolant is in the block be, bleed the system and just fill my radiator back up. Any negatives to this?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts

Agree with this idea. Make sure you immediately fill the system with coolant afterwards. DO NOT leave distilled water in the system. It will rust. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree with this idea. Make sure you immediately fill the system with coolant afterwards. DO NOT leave distilled water in the system. It will rust. Ask me how I know.
I'm honestly thinking about just leaving whatever coolant is in the block be, bleed the system and just fill my radiator back up with 50/50. Any negatives to this?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
If the coolant is more than 5 years old, get rid of it.

it still has cooling properties LONG after its anti corrosion properties have disappeared.

People tend to get confused with coolant life. its not the cooling property that ever really gets aged with time. There are also lubricating properties of some additives that need to be replenished

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
When doing a timing belt, pull the exhaust manifold away for room, then remove the block drain bolt. The only other way to get the junk out of the block is turning it upside down.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
What is going to rust? The fins on the water pump and the t-stat?

When doing a timing belt, pull the exhaust manifold away for room, then remove the block drain bolt. The only other way to get the junk out of the block is turning it upside down.
I have access to a rotisserie, I'll have to try your upside-down method next time!

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
you should be fine with just pulling the tstat and flushing with water until it comes out clear, your looking to purge the old coolant, not really flush anything out.

After you have the block full of water you can either start it for a second and try to let the water pump shoot the water out or mix concentrate and 50/50 and test the SCA's to get you to the proper additive mix amount.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts