Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been collecting parts for my D15Z1 built since forever and finally started putting the motor back together. Well i pull out my new ARP head studs and start threading them in by hand. They thread on just fine but seem a bit loose, but since i was threading them all the way down by hand just fine, i wasn't too suspicious. Turns out, the bolts i got are the same thread, but the bolt itself has a smaller diameter.

Per ARP's website, i did a search for honda 1.5L engine head studs and landed on part # 208-4308. The description on their website is very limited but says it fits honda 1.5L engines. Turns out this is NOT the part i needed. I was suspicious that my head studs were the exact same as the ones for the D16Z6. After checking majestic honda's and referencing part numbers, i was exactly right.

After going through ARP's website again under the search for honda d-series (instead of 1.5L) i came upon the part number 208-4301. For this part they actually list the D16Z6 as a motor these head studs work for.

Luckily Summit racing is going to take my return at the cost of 10% restocking fee, which i'm more than gratified to do since i bought these in august of 2014. Not only that, the correct arp studs are about $50 cheaper so i'll probably end up getting a few $ back after restocking fee and shipping.

But i did start putting these bolts in and i didn't realize things were really bad until one of the threads skipped during some pre tightening. I'm really worried about the condition of the threads on the block now. Going to get a thread chaser and run through them for sure and cross my fingers things will be okay. This is for a stock 92hp build, nothing crazy but i don't think power will be an issue. Also since the arp head studs are just that, the threads in the block are less of an issue since the thread pressure will be at the top part where the bolt threads on.

Crossing my fingers on this one. Not sure helicoil is even an option for head bolts. If i trashed some threads, i'll pretty much have no choice but to just sell everything i have. or sit on it for a while. :no:

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
You can helicoil a stock build.

Ive done it on northstars (well actually my buddy who does caddy swaps, but whatever)

you will probably be fine just cleaning the threads with a tap and brake-cleaning the shit out of the holes and using an airgun to blow them clean and dry

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,537 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the thread pitch was the same for all the d-series head bolts and just lengths changed.
Well, by saying "ALL D-Series" you would be wrong.

DOHC ZC ruins the "ALL"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the thread pitch was the same for all the d-series head bolts and just lengths changed.
yeah thats the strangest thing of all about this. the thread pitch is exactly the same, i could thread them all the way down by hand, but the bolt diameter is like 1mm too small or something.

picked up a 10x1.25mm thread chaser from work today so i can go through the threads and get an idea of the damage.

after checking arp's website more closely, i got head studs for an L15 motor... apparently this is the motor in the honda fits. i got confused and thought they might have just put L15 as in "Liter 1.5" or something as i had never heard of the L15 motor. ughhhh what a pain. i'm just glad i'm able to still exchange these without having to take more money out of my pocket.

wish arp had a better description on there website but oh well, live and learn i suppose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update: just went through the block with the thread chaser. filled each hole with some wd40 and went to town. after that, flipped the block around and sprayed generous amounts of brake cleaner. did this process twice.

first time it took a moderate amount of effort to get the thread chaser all the way down but after one run through on each hole, the second time i was able to run the thread chaser almost all the way down by hand with ease.

Looks like its going to be okay now :D

now the waiting game with shipping and summit racing begins...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No after-pics of the shavings? LOL!
lol sorry. honestly the only metal that came out was very tiny specs. i'm not worried.

sent off the old studs today. we'll see what the turn around time is with summit. till then i guess i'll just get the bottom end put together

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just wanted to update that i got the correct part back from summit! i have to say it looks MUCH nicer than the studs i got before. the wrong studs were in just a simple plastic bag with nothing else but the studs, washers, and nuts. The correct part is in a nice cardboard package with all the parts including some arp thread lubricant, installation instructions, and a sticker :)

I only had time to thread them each in by hand tonight, but they all went down without a hitch. Seems like everything should be just fine! Now to find some more time to put this motor back together lol.

The electrical engineer in me also wants to get a bunch of this stuff and clean up the engine harness. Who know's well see what happens...

·
Registered
13 Posts
So i've been collecting parts for my D15Z1 built since forever and finally started putting the motor back together. Well i pull out my new ARP head studs and start threading them in by hand. They thread on just fine but seem a bit loose, but since i was threading them all the way down by hand just fine, i wasn't too suspicious. Turns out, the bolts i got are the same thread, but the bolt itself has a smaller diameter.

Per ARP's website, i did a search for honda 1.5L engine head studs and landed on part # 208-4308. The description on their website is very limited but says it fits honda 1.5L engines. Turns out this is NOT the part i needed. I was suspicious that my head studs were the exact same as the ones for the D16Z6. After checking majestic honda's and referencing part numbers, i was exactly right.

After going through ARP's website again under the search for honda d-series (instead of 1.5L) i came upon the part number 208-4301. For this part they actually list the D16Z6 as a motor these head studs work for.

Luckily Summit racing is going to take my return at the cost of 10% restocking fee, which i'm more than gratified to do since i bought these in august of 2014. Not only that, the correct arp studs are about $50 cheaper so i'll probably end up getting a few $ back after restocking fee and shipping.

But i did start putting these bolts in and i didn't realize things were really bad until one of the threads skipped during some pre tightening. I'm really worried about the condition of the threads on the block now. Going to get a thread chaser and run through them for sure and cross my fingers things will be okay. This is for a stock 92hp build, nothing crazy but i don't think power will be an issue. Also since the arp head studs are just that, the threads in the block are less of an issue since the thread pressure will be at the top part where the bolt threads on.

Crossing my fingers on this one. Not sure helicoil is even an option for head bolts. If i trashed some threads, i'll pretty much have no choice but to just sell everything i have. or sit on it for a while. 🇳🇴
So the part number 208-4301 is the set tht will work on a d15z1? Tht is listed a d16z6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts