Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alarms to a lot of people are confusing and difficult to fig out, This write up should help out with the basics of alarms and their features. When choosing an alarm pick what’s going to fit your budget, what features you’re looking for, and if you want the ability to expand its capabilities later on. I’m no expert on this subject, but alarms were my specialty while I did car audio/security work. Most alarm manufacturers will require you to have them installed by an authorized dealer for warranty purposes, but there are some brands that can be sold over the counter for you to install yourself. If you do not have a good grasp on automotive electrical systems or don’t know someone that does, I highly recommend having your security system installed by a reputable shop to save you a lot of time and headaches. Enough of my rambling, here we go.
First off I’ll go over the basic parts of an alarm:

Transmitter: This is what you use to control the functions of the alarm: arm/disarm, activate extra features, etc. Most transmitters will have at least 2 buttons; some can have up to 4 or 5. The buttons are going to have specific features assigned to them from the fac. Best thing to do is read in the manual or ask your installer to explain what the buttons are assigned to do from the manufacturer. Most transmitters are going to use what they call rolling codes whenever they transmit, this means every time you press a button it’s going to transmit a different code to make it harder for someone to grab your code for your alarm.
Brain: This is the heart of the security system. The brain is what controls all the features of the alarm, and where your sensors and harnesses plug in. Most of the time the brain will be mounted under the dash or under a panel to be hidden from sight.
Antenna: This will either be a small wire hanging out of the brain box, or will be an extended range antenna that plugs in to the brain somewhere. This is what receives the signal from the transmitter, if it’s an extended range antenna you’ll want to mount it as high as possible in the car for best reception.
LED: This is a small light that gets visibly mounted in the car to show the status of the system. Generally if it’s blinking slowly the system is armed, and if it’s on solid the system is in valet mode (I’ll explain valet mode in detail a little later on). The LED also shows what zone of the alarm was triggered when disarm the system with a specific combination of flashes for each zone.
Siren: This what gives audible confirmation of arm/disarm, warn away, or the alarm being triggered. The siren is generally mounted under the hood so it will be it’s loudest when it goes off. The siren will also give indication of the alarm being triggered while you were away with a series of chirps indicating which zone was triggered
Shock sensor: Pretty much self explanatory, it senses any impact to the vehicle to trigger the alarm. There are two different kinds of shock sensors, single stage and dual stage. A single stage sensor is just that, it has one stage of adj. to trigger a full alarm sequence on impact. A dual stage allows a little more flexibility; it allows you to set up two stages of impact on the vehicle; one for lighter impacts that triggers a warn away sequence (usually a couple of chirps from the siren to warn of the alarm being on the car), and a second stage that triggers a full alarm for harder impacts.
STINGER® DOUBLE GUARD® SHOCK SENSOR - 504D
Valet button: This is a small button hidden somewhere in the car that only driver knows the location. This button is used to program the alarm, put the alarm in valet mode, and to bypass the alarm if your transmitter dies or you lose it.

Here are some basic features and add ons that are usually already active on an alarm or the most frequently requested to be activated or added.

Ignition controlled door locks:
Locks the door a couple of seconds after the ignition is turned on and unlocks them immediately when the ignition is turned off. Most systems already have this feature activated from the manufacturer. You must have power locks for this feature to work.
Active or passive arming: Allows you to arm the alarm from the transmitter, after the last door is closed automatically or both. Most are set to active arming so you have to use the transmitter to arm the alarm. Passive arming is when you close the last door the system starts counting down a preset time ‘till it automatically arms the alarm. I don’t like this feature due to fact if you leave the keys in the car by accident or you just jump out for a sec, and close the door, the alarm can arm itself and lock the doors if so equipped, and then you’re screwed, lol.
Door Trigger: This is a zone that is activated by opening the door after the alarm is armed. Most systems I’m use to installing have it set to a progressive trigger, that gives you a couple seconds of warning chirps to get in and bypass the alarm before it goes into a full a triggered sequence. You can also set it to an instant trigger so it goes off immediately when the door is opened through programming.
Dome light Surveillance: This feature activates your dome light when you disarm the alarm or turn the ignition off. I like it because it lights up the interior of your car at night so you can see it while you’re walking up to it. This feature is usually not active on most alarms unless you specifically ask for it.
Parking light flash: Pretty much self explanatory, flashes your parking lights when arm/disarm the alarm, the warn away is triggered, or the alarm goes off.
Keyless entry: Again pretty much self-explanatory. Allows you to lock/unlock the doors with your remote when arm and disarm the alarm.
Valet mode: This mode allows you to use the keyless entry part of the alarm, but does not actually arm and disarm the alarm from the remote.
Trunk release: Pops your trunk with your remote. This will use one of your additional channels on your alarm to activate, this in not included in the base price of the alarm install due to extra labor and parts needed.
Starter kill: You use a relay to interrupt the starter wire. When the alarm is armed the relay breaks the connection, not allowing the car to start.
Proximity sensor: You can get these in single or dual stage. A single stage goes off whenever someone or something enters the proximity of the vehicle, a dual stage gives more options by setting off a warn away if someone gets close or a full triggered alarm if someone gets into the inner zone.
FIELD DISTURBANCE SENSOR, DUAL ZONE - 508D

Remote start: It does just that, it allows you to start the car from your remote for a pre set time to allow you to run the a/c and cool off the car in summer or run the heater and warm it up in winter. Some cars will require a special bypass for the remote start to work properly. The nice thing about a remote start is, even if someone does manage to get in the car, they won't be able to go any where because when the remote start is active if you hit the brake or try to rev the engine it will kill the engine immediately.
Back up battery: Supplies a secondary source of power for the alarm if someone disables the battery so the alarm will still go off.
Window/sunroof module: Allows you to open/close the windows or sunroof from your remote. Genrally the way it's set up is when you press the button on the remote, it will vent the windows/sunroof about an inch at a time. If you press and hold the button it will roll the windows all the way down or completely open the sunroof. Most of the time it will be set up to where you arm the alarm it will roll up the windows/close the sunroof automtically.
WINDOW AUTOMATION SYSTEM - 530T http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/530T.pdf
Tilt sensor: Senses when the vehicle is jacked or rocked to trigger the alarm, I know some of the older ones used a mercury type switch, this tended to cause problems because if you parked on a hill or any kind of incline the sensor would be useless.
DIGITAL TILT-MOTION SENSOR - 507M http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/507M.pdf

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
good info, to know. :TU: i'll be heading up there when i need to install my alarm. lol.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remoer said:
good info, to know. :TU: i'll be heading up there when i need to install my alarm. lol.
you better, I'll make it so if someone walks by it and farts it'll go off for ya. lol

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can I get a sticky on this? :bubbrubb:

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
lets get a damn sticky on this. i know some tard is gonna ask for it AFTER they fuck their own alarm install up and vtecduck or myself or other installers have to walk them through it. good post. but didnt want to go into window/sunroof modules, back up batteries, or tilt sensors? i dont blame ya, dont want no ones head exploding with all that reading.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
rattmann316 said:
lets get a damn sticky on this. i know some tard is gonna ask for it AFTER they fuck their own alarm install up and vtecduck or myself or other installers have to walk them through it. good post. but didnt want to go into window/sunroof modules, back up batteries, or tilt sensors? i dont blame ya, dont want no ones head exploding with all that reading.
I wrote it from memory one day at work,lol. Been about 6 years since I did car stereo/security work, I did it for 7 or so years before I started with Verizon. Just added some more ^

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rattmann316 said:
window/sunroof modules, back up batteries, or tilt sensors
just added ,lol

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bizzar said:
Stuck! NJ on the write-up
cool, thanks Bizzar! My first sticky wo0t wo0t!!

·
This one's for you, Duck.
2,304 Posts
Another thing to add if you're gonna DIY:

When installing the brain and sensors, plan ahead where you're going to put them. While you also want the brain to be visible, you also don't want the brain in an easy to access location, like inside your glovebox, or behind the carpet on your firewall. Make it as hard to get to as possible so that it's hard to disable it. With sensors, install them with their use in mind. If it's a proximity sensor, mount it as close to the center of the car as possible, etc. Some shops are secretive about their install procedures for good reason. The fewer people who know about how to disable your car, the better. :TU:

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
FooSchnickens said:
Some shops are secretive about their install procedures for good reason. The fewer people who know about how to disable your car, the better. :TU:
I have been known to install a few inside the drivers door :) Its a bitch to run the wires through the boots but it makes for a nice install on a basic keyless with shock sensor. I just installed my Adiovox Prestige 997a this past weekend. Remote start, door locks, turbo timer, lcd pager the works! This alarm does it all.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bizzar said:
I have been known to install a few inside the drivers door :) Its a bitch to run the wires through the boots but it makes for a nice install on a basic keyless with shock sensor. I just installed my Adiovox Prestige 997a this past weekend. Remote start, door locks, turbo timer, lcd pager the works! This alarm does it all.
I've done a couple in doors myself, the shop I use to work at hated going behind my alarms due to the way I'd hide them :mrgreen:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you can, you'll just have to extend the wires a good bit, and make all the sensor wires longer. I've mounted them pretty much anywhere you can think of: under seats, under consoles, in doors etc.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What's the best place to install an alarm (Autopage 960 I think) in a CRX? I was debating about under the pass seat vs under rear seat in my EG, then I got the CRX before i actually started the alarm install and I have no idea. It also might be useful to add a portion about secure yet relatively easy to install locations in common D-Series cars.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
samuraiz said:
What's the best place to install an alarm (Autopage 960 I think) in a CRX? I was debating about under the pass seat vs under rear seat in my EG, then I got the CRX before i actually started the alarm install and I have no idea. It also might be useful to add a portion about secure yet relatively easy to install locations in common D-Series cars.
I will, been kinda busy lately and haven't updated the thread as much as I'd like to. You have a ton of room under the dash board of that car to stash the brain. I'll get some pics of under some dashes to help illustrate where to stick them :p.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts