Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Humboldt County California!

I just bought this 1990 Civic DX with a DI6A6 engine for $600, and I need to get it smogged. I have three issues:

• Will the air filter assembly from a D15B2 fit into my D16A6? They look almost identical in the pictures I've found except the hoses to the intake appear to be different lengths.
  • I'm thinking about going up to Oregon to buy a used exhaust catalytic converter, pipes and muffler to pass smog. I'm wondering if this is a bad idea or of anyone has a better suggestion. I'm on a tight budget.
  • My spark plug wires aren't seated onto the valve cover [picture below]. I don't think the wires should stick out like this. Was this perhaps intentional? Is this just the wrong size wires, or is there something else I need to look at?

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
on the spark plug cables. i have a b18b and if i use spark plug cables for a vtec engine i would face the same issue as yours. is either maybe the same issue you face on your d engine, or those cables belong to another make.

what's the condition on the present exhaust system. you tell nothing about it. i say if your exhaust is ok, no need to get another, maybe a cat to make sure you pass emissions. then later you can get a proper exhaust for the hatch.

on the filter, test fit and see for yourself.

loose the scoop on the hood ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll get some new cables to fix that problem.

There is no catalytic converter on this car, just a resonator. I don't really care for the loud attention-getting muffler on there now. I was thinking about replacing everything from cat to back with used pieces. I'll have to find a local individual or go to Oregon though because you can't legally sell used cats in California.

My problem with testing the air filter assembly is that there aren't a lot of options in my area for used parts, so I may have to order it on ebay or somewhere else.

The transmission is also making some noise when stopped, in neutral, with clutch engaged (pedal out) AND when moving, in gear, with clutch disengaged (pedal in). I don't know if it's the clutch release bearing or the input shaft bearing, both, or something else.

The car has super hard motor mount bushings, and it's lowered, so everything vibrates like crazy. It's hard to figure out which noises to worry about first!

I agree, the hood looks silly, and it touches the oil filler cap, which is probably making more noise. But that'll have to wait for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts