Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was gonna put together a turbo kit using a STD manifold and a 14b turbo for my 98 EX, but then i found out that this combo might not fit with air conditioning in the car, can anyone confirm this?

If it wont fit, then what manifold/turbo combo will let me have AC without using a small turbo that runs out of breath at higher rpms? I know the greddy kit will let me keep AC but i dont want to buy that kit cause i'll only be using the mani and turbo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to get rid of the a/c and the p/s with my hf mani. if you use the 14b j-pipe there will be a really harsh bend(almost 180). if you modify the j-pipe like i did you have to ditch that stuff for sure and your washer fluid tank. you can kinda see it in my sig.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so it is the manifold that is the problem right? i mean, the 14b will physically fit with AC in the car as long as the manifold places it properly right? after reading all this, i think im gonna get some flanges and weld up my own manifold. I figure i can get a mig welder for like $150 and still come out ahead cost wise, plus i'll have a welder in end that i can also use for the DP, exhaust, etc.

you guys think a 90 amp welder will be enough for the job? and where do you get the 90 degree elbows and tees for the manifold, are they just regular plumbing pieces that you can get at home depot?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
psi_o_so_hi said:
I had to get rid of the a/c and the p/s with my hf mani. if you use the 14b j-pipe there will be a really harsh bend(almost 180). if you modify the j-pipe like i did you have to ditch that stuff for sure and your washer fluid tank. you can kinda see it in my sig.
i thought p/s was above the turbo when you use the hf/14b combo? i've been reading a lot on this set up and never heard you had to remove this much stuff. you got bigger pics of the engine bay?

·
Registered
231 Posts
quest4boost said:
ok, i was gonna put together a turbo kit using a STD manifold and a 14b turbo for my 98 EX, but then i found out that this combo might not fit with air conditioning in the car, can anyone confirm this?

If it wont fit, then what manifold/turbo combo will let me have AC without using a small turbo that runs out of breath at higher rpms? I know the greddy kit will let me keep AC but i dont want to buy that kit cause i'll only be using the mani and turbo.
You live in canada...how hot could it get?

·
Registered
258 Posts
About your manifold

quest4boost said:
ok, so it is the manifold that is the problem right? i mean, the 14b will physically fit with AC in the car as long as the manifold places it properly right? after reading all this, i think im gonna get some flanges and weld up my own manifold. I figure i can get a mig welder for like $150 and still come out ahead cost wise, plus i'll have a welder in end that i can also use for the DP, exhaust, etc.

you guys think a 90 amp welder will be enough for the job? and where do you get the 90 degree elbows and tees for the manifold, are they just regular plumbing pieces that you can get at home depot?
The welder you purchase should be strong enough to penetrate 3/8" material.

If you are going to buy a manifold, the ccFab suggestion is a solid way to go. If you want to build your own log, we can supply you with a DIY log manifold kit (for B and D series), which includes the flange for the head, tees, elbows, a radius adapter, and a turbo flange. We offer add-ons of O2 bung kits, and external wastegate kits. The only problem is that we do not offer a flange for the 14B, so we could delete the turbo flange from our kit, and discount the kit by the appropriate amount.

Building your own manifold gives you the ability to place the turbo exactly where you want it, perfectly fit to your own car.

DIY Manifold Kits @ TunerToys

Hope that gives you some options...

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
quest4boost said:
i thought p/s was above the turbo when you use the hf/14b combo? i've been reading a lot on this set up and never heard you had to remove this much stuff. you got bigger pics of the engine bay?
the 14b will clear the p/s if you use the stock j-pipe from the turbo. But when you do this there needs to be a harsh bend to get it in place for a front mount. so i made a diffrent j-pipe that required me to get rid of the p/s.

mine just goes straight up and into the hole where the washer tank was.

you can kinda see on this where you would need to bend it almost completly backward if there was a intercooler. (picture from homemadeturbo.com)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts