Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and read other threads. I'm interested in a compressor no one has talked about. I also wan't to get any new perspectives. I wan't to buy a air compressor asap, but I don't know which one I wan't to get. I've been doing research on air compressor, but I'm still pretty confussed. I don't wan't to spend a whole lot of money. I was thinking about getting a craftsman air compressor, but there all oilfree and from what I've read oil is the way to go. I'm thinking of buying this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90234

I need one that's powerful enough to loosen crankpulley bolts with ease. What is everybody using?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I just bought a Craftsman and it works great.. But lifetime warranty only applies on hand tools, not power equipment :( I asked them and they told me that..

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
berettagtz117 said:
I just bought a Craftsman and it works great.. But lifetime warranty only applies on hand tools, not power equipment :( I asked them and they told me that..
What compressor did you buy? Have you removed a crankshaft pulley bolt?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916870000&subcat=Portable+Tank+Compressors
Here is mine but I used a mac tools gun to break that bitch and still I cannot break that bolt loose for shit. The guy that lent me his air gun said it was insane because It wont budge it at all with his gun it has already broken 4 sockets 2 of the impact and started to strip the crank pulley bolt.. SO I went and bought a craftsman deep socket impact socket to use and see if that works any better but kinda worried about the bolt stripping anymore or if is already toast>.? But ya the compressor works great and it saves me alot of time w/ this biatch.. My dad has had his craftsman compressor for atleast 10 years now and it is still running like a champ.. Do not buy harbor freight power tools.. Trust me.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
berettagtz117 said:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916870000&subcat=Portable+Tank+Compressors
Here is mine but I used a mac tools gun to break that bitch and still I cannot break that bolt loose for shit. The guy that lent me his air gun said it was insane because It wont budge it at all with his gun it has already broken 4 sockets 2 of the impact and started to strip the crank pulley bolt.. SO I went and bought a craftsman deep socket impact socket to use and see if that works any better but kinda worried about the bolt stripping anymore or if is already toast>.? But ya the compressor works great and it saves me alot of time w/ this biatch.. My dad has had his craftsman compressor for atleast 10 years now and it is still running like a champ.. Do not buy harbor freight power tools.. Trust me.
I searched H-T and people recommended that compressor. They said that the tools that come with the compressor suck. Is it an oiled or oilless compressor? I'm curious, why don't you recommend harbor freight?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
guest said:
I searched H-T and people recommended that compressor. They said that the tools that come with the compressor suck. Is it an oiled or oilless compressor? I'm curious, why don't you recommend harbor freight?
Oil Free and yes the tools well atleast the impact gun isnt the greatest but does a good enough job for pretty much anything but that damn crankpulley bolt, thats why I borrowed my buddies. but the rest of them work fine for what I use them for.. Like I said earlier about my dads His is oil free too and it has lasted this long thus far.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
berettagtz117 said:
Oil Free and yes the tools well atleast the impact gun isnt the greatest but does a good enough job for pretty much anything but that damn crankpulley bolt, thats why I borrowed my buddies. but the rest of them work fine for what I use them for.. Like I said earlier about my dads His is oil free too and it has lasted this long thus far.
Ok, thanks. I might buy a craftsman compressor tonight. I'll probably buy one without tools, since I really only need a impact wrench. What impact wrenches are good?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I would think that the compressor itself from Harbor Freight would be fine. All it does is store air under pressure... From my experience in buying air tools, the gun has to be able to take a lot of pressure for high impact... then the hose to connect it to the tank has to be decent quality or it will leak. The compressor can be anything, I'd think. Go for the Harbor Freight version...

I would buy a quality air gun though... unless you just want quick and dirty, then Harbor Freight is ok. can't beat the price!

S

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a Craftsman 33 gallon with the oilless motor. I have never had an issue with it ever. The tools that come with it aren't the greatest but they will tear a car apart with ease. Its a good buy for the price that Sears sells them...sometimes under 300 bucks with a couple air tools. Only bad thing about the package is the joke of an air hose and those shitty fittings. Get a good 50 ft line with some heavy duty industrial fittings and you'll never have an issue. I would say this compressor...like the link to the one above is adequate for a hobbyist. I push 140 psi through the impact gun that came with it and it rips shit off...been goin strong for over a year. Plus this thing JUST keeps up enough to paint and not make the air too warm. For the money, its a good choice.

As far as choosing a compressor goes, it basically comes down to what your using it for. If your doing tear down and using tools of that nature then 25-30 gallons is adequate. If you back that up with a compressor motor that can supply 5.5 cfm at 90 psi then it'll keep up for the mostpart even if your workin the hell out of it. Now if your painting frequently and using DA's and buffers, you may want to go with more hold capacity and a higher output compressor motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts