Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wtf: ok this is whats up. i got my d15b in and it wont start. i tryed everything i could think of. so my mom makes me tow it to this place to get a diagnosis and they sed they traced my car not starting to the distributor. ok now for the good stuff... now either my car has some nasty electircal to where its shorting all the electronics in the the dizzy or 2 people sent me bad dizzys. does anyone know what could be causing this? any feedback? anything? the mechanic wants $400 to change the internals of the distributor and i think that is :bullshit:

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
ic3tray said:
:wtf: ok this is whats up. i got my d15b in and it wont start. i tryed everything i could think of. so my mom makes me tow it to this place to get a diagnosis and they sed they traced my car not starting to the distributor. ok now for the good stuff... now either my car has some nasty electircal to where its shorting all the electronics in the the dizzy or 2 people sent me bad dizzys. does anyone know what could be causing this? any feedback? anything? the mechanic wants $400 to change the internals of the distributor and i think that is :bullshit:
that is bull shit. what do you need swapped? send it to me and i'll swap it for you for $25. or you could look on ebay for a z6 distributor for around $100 shipped.

and oh yeah, you can get a bran new one from discount auto with a coil for around $200

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
my d15b came with a bad distributor too... it happens. BUT, whoever sold you the motor should have replaced it for free!! (unless it was a personal sale)

Yeah, it's not that hard to swap internals. Take your old distributor (if it was obd1), take off the cap, unscrew the rotor, and start pulling that stuff out. Do the same thing to the d15b distributor and swap everything over. Easy.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
umm... I think the year of the distributor needs to match... as in obd1 distributor can swap internals with another obd1 distributor... IF there are any differences with the plugs. If the plugs are the same, I don't see why you couldn't swap the internals though.

BTW, did you reuse your old harness? If you did, I don't see why there would be electrical problems, unless you had them before.

Also, you could try putting your old distributor on the car (assuming the plugs match) and try to start it. The bolt holes will NOT lline up, but you can at least see if it will start (or try to start). That will tell you if the wiring is messed up. Have someone hold the distributor while you start it though... don't want it coming off with oil pouring out the hole (hold it by the plastic! just in case there is a short inside :) )

Oh, the mechanic should have checked, but just in case, look at all your fuses and make sure they're all fine.

·
Banned
939 Posts
It's possible your getting rebuilt distributors where the pickups for the position wheels are set too far apart. They should be no further apart than the thickness of a business card. It'll take some time to check though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i got it running. i put the b8 dizzy in and held it there and it started right up. then i filed the dizzy to make it fit. just temporary till i get a NEW distributor. is this gonna hurt my engine?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
you need to at least set the timing to as close to stock as possible.

·
d-series 007
95 hatch si
774 Posts
shouldnt hurt anything but try setting the timing the best ou can as makku said. hell just to get my buddies car running we threw a dizzy on with just a pair of vicegrips

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
3,223 Posts
be very careful with the oil seal inside of the distributor as well. when you pull the shaft out if you don't pull on it straight it will destroy that seal and you will have oil leaking into your distributor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input everyone! oh and merry christmas to all! no boogiedown i havnt checked the sensors... i probly should though i think my tps my be broken. anyway i love vtec! i killed some 4dr focus like 20 mins ago, it was sweeeeeeeet. best christmas ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts