Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just finished installing a new head gasket on my d16y8.

Should I worry if my #3 head bolt is potentially a bit overtorqued?

The car has not been turned on yet and no oil has been added.

I followed all the forum advice when changing the head gasket in my d16y8 (head resurfaced/vacuum tested, oem gasket, new bolts, cleaned out bolt holes, meticulously cleaned all surfaces, followed 3 step torque specs from service manual).

When torquing one of the bolts the (harbor freight) torque wrench wasn't clicking when I felt like it should. I tested the wrench on another bolt on the car and it clicked fine. I did the final torquing and everything clicked as expected so I know everything is at least 49lbs of torque.

The timing belt is back on but I still have more to assemble. I'm just feeling a bit paranoid about potentially wasting all the time that was put into this.

Any advice?

Cheers,
Matt

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
if youre paranoid, pull them all back out and do it again. read the manual to see the order of removal/install

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Could I simply unbolt and re-tighten while leaving the head gasket and timing belt on?

I was thinking about buying a better torque wrench today to figure out what the exact torque numbers are. I'm not sure how much is too much when it comes to a bolt being over torqued.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
you might want to loosen the tensioner, otherwise you will either
1) not torque them evenly
2) add slack to the timing belt.

but yes, I don't see why you would have to remove the head gasket

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
you can loosen and retorque that one bolt.

Make sure you added oil where honda wants you when installing head bolts.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I agree with removing the one bolt and re-torquing it to spec no need to remove them all.
If you get a new wrench you might run it across all to make sure they read equally.

·
Registered
'88 CRX
8 Posts

I followed all the forum advice when changing the head gasket in my d16y8 (head resurfaced/vacuum tested, oem gasket, new bolts, cleaned out bolt holes, meticulously cleaned all surfaces, followed 3 step torque specs from service manual).

When torquing one of the bolts the (harbor freight) torque wrench wasn't clicking when I felt like it should. I tested the wrench on another bolt on the car and it clicked fine. I did the final torquing and everything clicked as expected so I know everything is at least 49lbs of torque.

The timing belt is back on but I still have more to assemble. I'm just feeling a bit paranoid about potentially wasting all the time that was put into this.

Any advice?

Cheers,
Matt

Any advice?

Cheers,
Matt
If you went over by like 5lb ft then I wouldn’t even worry about it. But if you’re gonna lose sleep over it just loosen that one bolt and re-torque it. No need to redo all of them. Believe it or not the needle type torque wrenches are more accurate than the much more expensive click type. The click type are just more convenient. I own both type. Just make sure you store the needle type vertically with the needle facing down. I have an old socket mounted to a piece of 2”x4” that is screwed to my garage wall and that’s what holds my wrench when not in use.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
HF torque wrenches have always tested within 10% of snap-on. At least according to the local snap-on guy. He has tested a couple dozen and most were reading 1-5 pounds lower than they were set to, with a couple being nearly 10 pounds lower.

Not a big deal with head bolts and stud, but I would never recommend an HF torque wrench for mains or rod caps!!

EDIT and I forgot, they are fragile as fuck.

Dropped mine 4 feet, it decided to quit ratcheting. Tossed it into the scrap pile immediately

1 - 10 of 10 Posts