Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important are aftermarket valves on a 300+whp turbo build?

Is there more of an importance when the head is ported compared to stock head?

thanks

·
Registered
98 Civic EX 4dr
117 Posts
well... for 300whp I'm pretty sure you won't need new valves... hell, you wouldn't even really need to do any headwork, but I'd say springs/retainers and a cam and you're set. Aftermarket valves tend to be for much higher horsepower applications.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Agreed; aside from the headwork; it would definately help you into the 300's.... and then some.

you really never need to increase the intake valve size on a SOHC... maybe 1mm with a reduced duration cam on a very high boost ap... but that's it in my eyes..... too much can be bad sometimes =)

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Even tho im not gonna hit the 300 mark with my builty8 and 15g setup, im gonna go with the omnipower.... you can get a set for like 130 bucks.... why not??

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even tho im not gonna hit the 300 mark with my builty8 and 15g setup, im gonna go with the omnipower.... you can get a set for like 130 bucks.... why not??
well, what exactly do they do? If i did get aftermarket valves they wouldnt be oversized.... besides being lighter, do they do anything. like add hp? or is it just something like sleeving (just for insurance reasons)?

thanks

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
well, what exactly do they do? If i did get aftermarket valves they wouldnt be oversized.... besides being lighter, do they do anything. like add hp? or is it just something like sleeving (just for insurance reasons)?

thanks
I dont think they add hp, but just having valves that can handle more power is always a plus.... so like insurance.... exactly.....

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think they add hp, but just having valves that can handle more power is always a plus.... so like insurance.... exactly.....
right on......i can understand upgrading them.

got a link. ive heard nothing but good things about omni

i was planning on doing kms springs and retainers with a ported head and stock cam.

i might go ahead and do valves, but my build cost is already pretty high

thanks

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
right on......i can understand upgrading them.

got a link. ive heard nothing but good things about omni

i was planning on doing kms springs and retainers with a ported head and stock cam.

i might go ahead and do valves, but my build cost is already pretty high

thanks
yeah trust me man.... building these bastards aint cheap... well it can be... but im buying mostly name brand stuff.... the site is http://www.omnipowerusa.com/Products/Products_Engine_Valves.asp

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you dont need them... a waste of money unless you completely build your head.. which you dont need to reach 300 whp... the guys hitting 400 have stock heads.....
well, they hit 400whp on race gas and lots of boost. Im running 93 octane and im looking to get 300 or more whp with the 93 octane. porting the head will definately help me. thats why im considering it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dude with the vitaras is running it daily, stock head, pump gas....
bizzar is around 350 whp with a stock head....
really? that actually inspires me not to port it

i wonder how much more power he could squeeze if he ported the head.

do you know how much boost he is running?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
really? that actually inspires me not to port it

i wonder how much more power he could squeeze if he ported the head.

do you know how much boost he is running?
last time I checked it was around 17 psi daily and cranked it to 20 psi for the track.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
last time I checked it was around 17 psi daily and cranked it to 20 psi for the track.

he did 350whp with 17-20psi???????

damn!

i was hoping to get close to 300whp @ 18 psi.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
when i talked to him about it via pm or aim or something.. he did mention that he felt the stock head was holding him back from making more power.. but i wouldnt mess with valves unless i did a fully built head

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
he did 350whp with 17-20psi???????

damn!

i was hoping to get close to 300whp @ 18 psi.
He did right at 300 whp at 20 psi with a pig rich tune and a leaking manifold :lol:. Now that he's got that fixed and tuned for the higher boost he should be close though

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when i talked to him about it via pm or aim or something.. he did mention that he felt the stock head was holding him back from making more power.. but i wouldnt mess with valves unless i did a fully built head
right on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts