Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor is in the reassembly process now and ive put off getting a new oil pump long enough. Heres the deal, i am porting the oil ports in the bearings for best oil flow. Now my question is, shold i just buy an oem oil pump and be done with it, or should i invest in an aftermarket oil pump that has a higher flow rate?

I looked over the diy on theoldone.com and i just dont feel comfortable messing with something that could destroy my motor if performed incorrectly, especially when i have never taken apart or ported an oil pump before.

So i guess my next question is, are there any companies besides endyn that sell aftermarket fuel pumps, in which you dont have to send your stock unit in to have it ported and then sent back to you?

my goal is 300-320whp on my z6.

thanks

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
There are straight-up totally bone stock Z6 oil pumps pushing over 400whp... You'll be fine with the stock one!!! If not going to port it, then shim it with a .025" thick (or less) washer, and be done with it!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does shimming it do? i just dont want to risk my thousands of dollars just because i didnt get an oil pump that flowed enough to keep it from spinning a bearing.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I had a friend do that to my pump. And he ported all the holes too.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on another note....i will be revving to about 8200, does that matter at all?

thanks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
research int eh archieves, the oil pump mod.....

www.theoldone.com
i already have done that, i even emailed larry to get more specific details on what to do. He wouldnt give me any becase he said lately they had people with complaints that they tried to mod their own and caused failure to the pump. they blamed the company, so lary reccommended me not doing it myself. ive never taken apart an oilpump before so i dont really know if i feel comfortable doing it and trusting it afterwards.......as bad as that may sound.

but are there any other aftermarket companies that sell them?

i mainly just want to know if will 100% sure be okay to run stock fuel pump, while revving to 8200, with ported oil ports in the bearings.

thanks for the replies, keep them coming :TU:

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i used to take my stock all motor z6 to 8900-9200 rpms on a stock pump.. that block had 140k on it also... never spun a bearing, valve float at 9500rpm ( stock springs ) that killed the motor... block is still in perfect shape

just go with oem... honestly i dont think anything is better then oem, including rod/main bearings... perfect fit everytime

·
Registered
636 Posts
high flow oil pump

that i know of this is the only site that makes an aftermarket high flow oil pump that will bolt up to a single cam and for 190 bucks its worth the deal i have one on mine and never had any oiling problems
http://www.honda-performance.com/info-lv2.asp?id=284

:honda:

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i thought toga made an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
95 Civic EX
164 Posts
bumping this to hear more thoughts..... im going to be starting a turbo d project soon and am scared to death of spinning a bearing

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i went with stock......i ported the rod bearings oil ports.

im prolly only going to rev to about 7500 and it should be ok.....

on the y8's, i know they have oil flow problems which cause them to throw bearings easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well, i went with stock......i ported the rod bearings oil ports.

im prolly only going to rev to about 7500 and it should be ok.....

on the y8's, i know they have oil flow problems which cause them to throw bearings easier.
I'm with you on the Y8 oil flow issue. I'm running all stock d16y8 at 7psi boost. I recently lost my #3 cylinder rod bearing which happens to be the one farthest from the oil pump... hmm. I don't know about you Z6 guys but I'm going for an aftermarket pump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm with you on the Y8 oil flow issue. I'm running all stock d16y8 at 7psi boost. I recently lost my #3 cylinder rod bearing which happens to be the one farthest from the oil pump... hmm. I don't know about you Z6 guys but I'm going for an aftermarket pump.
I lost #4 @ 85mph, around 5k rpms.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
There are straight-up totally bone stock Z6 oil pumps pushing over 400whp... You'll be fine with the stock one!!! If not going to port it, then shim it with a .025" thick (or less) washer, and be done with it!
Do you have more info on how to shim the pump??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts