Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, ive had a nice ceramic header on my car for a while now, but want to heatwrap it and buy(i hope), or make(if i have to) a nice heatshield. anyone know if there are heatshields out there for aftermarket headers? or would i have to fab one up? i kinda want my bay to look more stock than it does now...thanx guys

sidenote: also, does anybody know of anything i can wrap my intake tube with to reflect heat away from it by any chance?

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
fastline performance makes a sheild to protect the bottom the only thing i can think of

the same guys that make the horse cock shifters

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Wrapping a header can lead to premature failure of the welds and/or the actual steel and usually will void the warranty. Plus the wrap can retain water and cause more issues. Just something to consider

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, so maybe i wont wrap the header then, but i would LOVE a nice looking heatshield to cover my header and divert a lil heat(like the stock piece) and something to wrap my intake pipe with to keep the pipe a little cooler...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If you choose to wrap the header you need to prep it first.
You need to paint it with HIGH degree resistent paint. After that you can wrap.

You do not need a heat shield if you use wrap.

If your car is daily driven water will not stay trapped as it will evaporate.

Premature header welding failures are known to happen on CHROMED cheap headers replica. Your is ceramic coated you will be fine.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
Wrapping a header can lead to premature failure of the welds and/or the actual steel and usually will void the warranty. Plus the wrap can retain water and cause more issues. Just something to consider
BULLSHIT and I've proven this wrong.

MYTHBUSTED!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
i bet you could get a stock heat shield and grind two slits in it and hose clamp it.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
BULLSHIT and I've proven this wrong.

MYTHBUSTED!!!!!!
Straight from the DC Sports FAQ:
Q: I race on the weekends. Can I use header wrap to keep underhood temps down?
A: The use of header wrap will void the manufacturer warranty on your DC Sports header because it does not allow the header to normalize and can soften the welds. Although header wrap is used with success on racing engines, most teams account for the deterioration it will cause to the header, and in most cases warranty is not a concern for racing teams. On street cars or vehicles that are street driven and see occasional track duty, we do not recommend its use.

And here is a pic of my header:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

So while it may be myth busted, it's definitely not bullshit if Darrell and Darrick Contreras specifically point out the fact that header wrap essentially causes their products to fail. Without an accurate scientific test to prove or disprove this, anything you or I say is strictly conjecture. Your header did not fail so you see my statement as bullshit. My header did fail, so I see correlation and a strong possibility of causation, which is why I posted what I did and also why I used the word "can" and not "will." So is it still bullshit that header wrap CAN cause a header to fail? I don't see how.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
shitty material...........plus I don't see any signs of wrapping in that pic.

Welds held but the piping was weak.

approx 10 years wrapped on a Stillen unit. Where I didn't wrap is where it rusted....helped along with a few scrapes

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
LOL!!!!

3 years in new england salt bath after i took the wrap off it all looked BEAUTIFUL, i even sold the egay header to someone on here, was a 1 piece design not the usual 2 piece

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and im not argueing with bone. i said i wasnt guna wrap it after what he said. i just wana know if there are any aftermarket heatshields to cover my header?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
and im not argueing with bone. i said i wasnt guna wrap it after what he said. i just wana know if there are any aftermarket heatshields to cover my header?
i would contact rc autoworks and see if you can get one made. might be a pretty decent price.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so there are no "off the shelf" units available?

also, is there anything i can wrap my aem intake arm with to "deflect" heat away from it?'

i just wanna contain the heat from my header a little bit, and keep the heat away from my metal intake arm. man i'd love a plastic intake!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
so there are no "off the shelf" units available?

also, is there anything i can wrap my aem intake arm with to "deflect" heat away from it?'

i just wanna contain the heat from my header a little bit, and keep the heat away from my metal intake arm. man i'd love a plastic intake!

quit messing around a boost it already, you will get there eventualy just skip the other steps lol. . .

its how we all start. . .
an intake, header, catback
becomes slow
we imporove on the i/h/e
becomes slow
lighten the car
becomes slow
think about boost but pussy out
wait 6months and once you get raped by enough cars
you finaly boost it
then you pop the motor
then a built one goes in
now it becomes fun

just skip the few in the middle lol

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont really plan on boosting this car. i want another car anyways(eg hatch) for boost. this is the car i take to work, to the store, take my daughter places.....i just want an efficient n/a car...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts