Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i couldnt find anything about d-series engines being cammed, how well they worked, power advantages etc...
I am guessing at least one person on here has cammed a d-series engine and could give me some information/advice on makes and series of cam being able to be used and what not........

Thanks Mat

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Search around on this site, there is TONS of info man.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
There are probably more engines with upgraded cams on this site than not.
Check out the engine building and naturally aspirated sections. Lots of info
in the stickies.

·
Registered
93 Honda Civic
112 Posts
^^ is right.. brah just search cams and you'll find the sticky on forced induction.. and u said no blox? try again... God gave u one brain, use em.. no like start trouble but just saying.. try harder... CheehWhooo!!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
dont worry about trying to find info on the blox cams there junk. there are 2 stickes here one for vtec and one for non vtec read them, cammed engines are only as good as the tuner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hatchaddict that was a helpful post unlike the rest of the stuff, it winds me up a bit, the time you said stop lying etc you could have said o this is the thread you could do with etc.... anyway i think i found in the N/A section? i did search and couldnt find what i wanted.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment been through 2/3 pages on that 9 pages thread, found out stage 3 crower cam you may need to grind your head for the cam to fit and work.
The thread closes as he does not get many cam manufactures information and it was mostly people like me asking about cams and what to get or w/e now all i want to know is what people would suggest, atm im guessing crower, exospeed.
You tell me a cam you suggest or think is good then i dont mind looking over oodles of websites to try and find information about it so let the 'help a noob' begin

Thanks

·
Registered
95 honda del sol Si
271 Posts
what motor's this going into? are you getting springs with it too?? port n polish????

I hear good things about the Delta 272 cam regrind :p keep searchin man

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right its a d15z6, getting a d16z6 head put on it.
uprated exhaust so exhaust side is being ported, not sure on intake side, have the oem d16z6 intake manifold.
More than likely getting skimmed, More than likely upgrade the valves and springs
Car is de-catted, car is going to be a daily, occasional track day too....

Thanks Mat

·
Registered
95 honda del sol Si
271 Posts
what's your hp goal?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
so you are going to stay NA?

look into Exospeed and Bisimoto. they make really good NA cams.

you can do a search in the NA section for either of their names and find some good results.

you can also go to honda-tech.com and search the NA SOHC thread. i read it over the course of a few days and learned its not actually that hard to make 200whp on a D. (just give bisi your credit card number and wait patiently... lol)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, well i didnt have a hp goal in mind, what would you guys rekon i could or should try/get from what i am doing, about 150-160?

Mat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heads getting some the block isnt.....
Looked oon exospeed website and they just regrind your cam?
Going to look into Bisimoto cams, any series i should really look at do you think?

Mat

·
Formerly weebeastie
934 Posts
cams

Bisimoto uses a new Billet for a lot of their VTEC cams, so that'll probably be what you're looking for. The Bisimoto Level 2 cam is their best all around street/strip cam that will run on a factory ECU. I say run because it will idle and run with a stock ECU, but it's true potential will only be found after the ECU has been chipped and tuned by a knowledgeable tuner. The level 3 cam is a different beast. It will usually not even idle with the stock ECU, so if you plan to buy their level 3 cam be prepared to bump up the static compression to a minimal 11:1, and you'll have to get the car tuned.

Untuned my non vtec d16a6 Bisimoto level 2 cam made 120 whp, tuned with more modifications it made 140(s) whp. See my signature for modifications. Peak whp is around 150 whp for the level 2 cam (this is with everything optimized for efficiency and performance). I say that because that's the most I've ever seen out of it with a good tune and a lot of extra work.

I would not be afraid of a reground cam as long as it has been properly parkerized to retain the hardness of the metal. Bisimoto's regrinds are treated and I'm pretty sure that Exospeed does as well, unsure about Delta, but give them a call and see if they do. I've been running a Bisimoto level 2 regrind for 2.5 years now. Its got roughly 30,000 miles on it, and not easy miles either.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i asked in their thread and yes they do parkerize.

you can also look into Coltcams.com for your cam. they are a little less expensive than Bisimoto and they know their stuff. talk to Geoff and tell him Honda dan sent ya. best bet is to call.

the at the end of the day, the baddest SOHC's all run Bisi level X cams.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts