Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 96 civic coupe and just did a d16z6 swap in it with an obd1 jumper on a virgin p28...the car starts and runs great when its cold but as soon as it warms up it misfires from 1 to 3500 rpms and then seems to run better after getting past 3500...i have changed spark plugs,wires,and dizzys,the wiring harness came off my old motor which ran fine so it cant be that along with my z6 intake mani fuel rail and injectors all worked fine on old motor i have tried sea foam and all kinds of cleaners but nothingthe only codes its throwing is for vtec pressure switch and im not sure why its throwing that....but can anybody give me some kinda clue to this i am baffled

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
check the timing belt.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
check the TPS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean by check it,its not throwing a code forit and its plugged in the whole harness came out of my old motor and worked fine

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
it won't really throw a code. i had a similar problem with my car. check the wires on the jumper and check the voltage at the TPS. just rule them out.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
you cant tell much by using a Multimeter, the tps could be shorted on the inside and dropping out at certain spots, either a meter with a Min/Max selection on it or use a DSO and see if the voltages are correct.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
Testing - With the Key On, Engine Off hook up a voltmeter to the TPS. @ idle (closed throttle), voltage should be close to .5V and @ WOT (Wide Open Throttle) voltage should be 4.5V.

The best way to adjust the TPS voltage is @ idle (closed throttle). While Key On, Engine Off, hook up voltmeter between the yel/wht & grn/wht and observe reading. If it needs to be adjusted, loosen the TPS mounting and move the TPS until voltmeter reads close to .5V.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
Testing - With the Key On, Engine Off hook up a voltmeter to the TPS. @ idle (closed throttle), voltage should be close to .5V and @ WOT (Wide Open Throttle) voltage should be 4.5V.

The best way to adjust the TPS voltage is @ idle (closed throttle). While Key On, Engine Off, hook up voltmeter between the yel/wht & grn/wht and observe reading. If it needs to be adjusted, loosen the TPS mounting and move the TPS until voltmeter reads close to .5V.
:TU: i was just saying that if its bad while you open/close the throttle the voltage will drop to 0v and the car will studder. good advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok imgoing to borrow a volt reader from my buddy and try it i hope thats what it is but the intake mani came off of my old motor and everything worked fine so....

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
ok imgoing to borrow a volt reader from my buddy and try it i hope thats what it is but the intake mani came off of my old motor and everything worked fine so....
it's the middle wire fyi. I had to fix that twice on my old ej8

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
the middle wire on the tps?
yep. black probe to the negative battery cable, positive probe to the middle wire on the tps (back probe it) and set your meter to DCV, turn the car to accessories and it should be at .5dcv. to adjust it you rotate the tps. unless your tps has ever be calibrated you'll have to drill out the rivets on the tps thats connected to the TB and just use bolts to reinstall it. it's very easy. look in the DIY's all the details are in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so it ended up being either the ecu or the jumper cause i plugged in the obd2 ecu and it runs fine ha ha thanks for everybodys help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts