Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok first off i know this isnt the best option for a honda, but what im putting it on is not a honda and does not have any tuning support from any companies so im gonna try my luck with the afc.

my questions are

1. how do i wire one up ? ( i dont know how to explain this question, i understand what it does. i just havent found a detailed wiring diagram )

every time i look something up its vehicle specific and only gives wire colors not what they actually goto inside the e.c.u ( which doesnt help me as there is nothing for my particular vehicle ). im gonna keep researching i was just hoping someone from here could help me out a lil bit more. what i need is a detailed wiring diagram if anyone has one it would help me out greatly.

2. can i use the afc with a vehicle that does not have a dist. and has coils instead ? ( i havent seent anything on the web about that yet )

^^ ok so this is what i came up with its for a vafc i was just wondering if they are about the same. i dont have vtec so i can just leave that disconnected and not have to worry about it right ?

3. and from what ive read it says the afc does and does not change ignition timing . which one of these are true ?

if i can think of anything else that might help me i'll post it. please don't fill this thread with BS i'm only looking for people that actually know what they are talking about and i'll be able to weed out most of the trash.

thanks in advance.

i just realized i put this in the F/I section im gonna try to have it moved to engine management.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
1. Find an ECU pinout. This might mean buying a manual.

2. It depends, but you have to know what the inputs and outputs are supposed to be for both the ECU and the AFC. (See #1.)

3. Almost no AFCs change the ignition timing more than triggering a cold enrichment routine in the EC. If you need timing control you have to hack the ECU, replace the ECU with something that will work, or, just pray you don't blow the thing up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Find an ECU pinout. This might mean buying a manual.

2. It depends, but you have to know what the inputs and outputs are supposed to be for both the ECU and the AFC. (See #1.)

3. Almost no AFCs change the ignition timing more than triggering a cold enrichment routine in the EC. If you need timing control you have to hack the ECU, replace the ECU with something that will work, or, just pray you don't blow the thing up.
yeah i'll be buying a haynes or chiltons manual so i have all the wiring for my vehicle. i still have alot of research to do but everything i've researched so far is making me not even wanna boost it. it has side feed injectors which are junk and have no upgradeable injectors that i've found. and there is no aftermarket support for tuning that i can find because it is a mutt year. which pisses me off kinda. i got a really good deal on it but im thinking i might just resell it and pick up another EG civic thats in better condition then my last.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would rather have an FMU and boost timing control box than an AFC any day of the week.
I cant even fathom why anybody wouldnt chip their ECU, but an AFC is just about the most evil thing you could do. If youre really stuck on bandaids I would try to find a used BEGi FMU and sell that AFC...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rather have an FMU and boost timing control box than an AFC any day of the week.
I cant even fathom why anybody wouldnt chip their ECU, but an AFC is just about the most evil thing you could do. If youre really stuck on bandaids I would try to find a used BEGi FMU and sell that AFC...
1. this isnt on a honda as previously stated. and what it is on i have little to no knowledge of and neither does anyone on the other forums.

2. afc was the only thing i could think of that would possibly work. as previously stated there are no companies that support the year and make of my vehicle as far as tuning goes.

3. i have no how the fmu and boost timing control box thing even works as this is the first i have ever heard of them. im not sure they are compatible with my vehicle.

so i'll let you guys know what it is im working with as a project right now.

i picked up a 96 chevy s10 2.2L 2WD 5Speed . i got a really good deal on it and couldnt pass it up as its worth 3 to 4 times as much as what i've paid for it and put in to it. i got it for $450 and only put $35 into so far for a used alternator. LOL. the guy thought the motor was seized and it wasnt just the alternator was seized and he never took the belt off to see if it was any of the other pulleys.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The FMU is compatible with every EFI setup, ever. In fact you can even use it with a returnless system if you do it right (I know because Ive done it)

The boost timing controllers work on anything with a distributor, and other things as well.

AFCs are really, reeeeally horrible. It will run like crap and likely blow up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...

my girl just told me that i should sell the truck and get another civic!!!!!! god i love her. LOL.

so hopefully within the next couple weeks or so i'll sell the s-10 and buy another EG in better condition then my last. then i should have an extra grand or so to play with towards getting the rest of what i need to boost a civic the correct way...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are real tune options for your s10

Tunerpro rt, mega squirt, I know there are others but ill leave you to find them. Stay away from afc's ALWAYS.
on the s10 forums i was told there isnt any for the 96 and 97 s-10 with the 2.2 because they were mutt years and no one had done anything with them. only 98+ were supported from what i found

·
Formally D_Tuned
2,884 Posts
Well tunerpro is not going to work but show me a fuel injected engine with no mainstream ems support and ill show you the perfect time to go megasquirt.

They are partially correct though, 96 was the beginning of obd2 but the s10 didnt get revised until 98.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well tunerpro is not going to work but show me a fuel injected engine with no mainstream ems support and ill show you the perfect time to go megasquirt.

They are partially correct though, 96 was the beginning of obd2 but the s10 didnt get revised until 98.
hmmm. maybe ill have to do some more research on them. cause i kinda like the s-10 and might just keep it. but seeing how the wifey has givin me the blessings to get another civic i might just do that. its awfully hard to decide right now because the s-10 is in awsome shape. it'll be hard to find an EG in my area thats in as good of condition.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I wouldn't use an afc on the truck. It has coil packs which is very closee to ponit system(each cylinder can fire whenever it needs to, its not depended on the cam/crank).
The afc messes up timing and on that kind of system it will screw it to hell. And fmu would be better here but others are saying there is tunerpro but I wouldn't know. I don't mess with much besides honda.

Megasquit if I remeber will work with anything because all it is, is a wet nos without the spray just injecting gas into the intake.

·
Formally D_Tuned
2,884 Posts
I wouldn't use an afc on the truck. It has coil packs which is very closee to ponit system(each cylinder can fire whenever it needs to, its not depended on the cam/crank).
The afc messes up timing and on that kind of system it will screw it to hell. And fmu would be better here but others are saying there is tunerpro but I wouldn't know. I don't mess with much besides honda.

Megasquit if I remeber will work with anything because all it is, is a wet nos without the spray just injecting gas into the intake.
Megasquirt is a engine management system that can be made to work with damn near anything with fuel injectors. Its far from anything like a nitrous kit. diyautotune.com

In my opinion tunercats is to expensive of a option for a 2.2 s10 even if it was a doable option in his case.

There are a few guys on the s10 boards that know what they are talking about but its like playing wheres waldo because they are so hard to find and dont post much if at all. I used to be a regular on a few of the s-dime boards but forums today just aren't what they used to be.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

WHAT!?!?!

You obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Megasquirt is a full standalone ECU capable of controlling multiple channels of injectors and ignition circuits. There are people making 1000+hp on megasquirt.

If you dont know what youre talking about, dont post.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
WHAT!?!?!

You obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Megasquirt is a full standalone ECU capable of controlling multiple channels of injectors and ignition circuits. There are people making 1000+hp on megasquirt.

If you dont know what youre talking about, dont post.
As I said I don't know much about it. All I. Have seen is the systems that are a stand alone injector controller.
So don't go jumping down my thoart on something I said I didn't know much about.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
No, you said "If I remember", thats not the same as saying you havnt the slightest clue of what you are talking about.

Does this look like a wet nitrous kit to you?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Who cares.......It's a s10 were talking about he said it works on anything with fuel injectors that's all we needed to know but that doesn't matter because if the OP isn't going to use tuner cat he's not going to use megasquirt. Better question is what are you going to do to the 2.2? I think as you said without some mods they are not the best engine out there in this form to boost.

·
Registered
560 Posts
my girl just told me that i should sell the truck and get another civic!!!!!! god i love her. LOL.
Because your girlfriend said you should sell the truck and get another civic you're canning the whole project? :thinking:

Sounds like an awesome girlfriend, but why was that the deciding factor? Either way good luck with the next Civic!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That 2.2 in the s-10 is total crap. Be prepared to do head gaskets. Just do a 350 or LS swap and be done. There are plenty on cheap kits and after market support to do it. I could pull off a nicely done swap for under $2k with a carbureted 350. Hatchaddict had one. Pm him for some ideas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts