Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some pics of my installation of the Aerocatch hood pins.
Was definitely pretty scared of cutting up my hood but I took my time and was very pleased with the results.

Why I did this? safety! doesn't take me long to hit 100+mph on the road and have seen some scary videos of the hood smacking the windshield at high speeds. (its dangerous to go that fast on roads but sometimes i just get that itch, but doesn't happen often)

Here are some pics!

Found the hole by mounting pins and putting a dab of grease on the tip. closed the hood lightly to mark the spot

how it looked after cutting the hole with dremel. rough cut it and then grind in the small curves with a grinder attatchment

All done!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I like how you did the work, looks clean and nice, not sure about the angle.

I have hood pins from the previous owner, they are shyt. I wanna do something like this, since my hood is already crap I wont have to worry about mistakes.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Deciding on the angle is the hardest part. I looked at
Many different pictures and decided this angle is what I liked best. Second hardest was probably trying to get them in the same exact spot. 😉

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I helped my buddy install them on a brand new vis cf hood for his em1, was pretty nerve racking and it wasn't even my hood, we used two stock holes in the rad support so we didn't have drill holes and have them off slightly

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I helped my buddy install them on a brand new vis cf hood for his em1, was pretty nerve racking and it wasn't even my hood, we used two stock holes in the rad support so we didn't have drill holes and have them off slightly
Nice, I chose to use the hole where the rubber stoppers were for the hood, right next to the headlights.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
This seems absolutely pointless on a car with an oem hood and latch, just a waste of a good hood.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This seems absolutely pointless on a car with an oem hood and latch, just a waste of a good hood.

The OEM latch is the exact reason why I installed them.....I don't trust them. When you're going 70 on the freeway just watch the gap between the fender and hood, mine wobbles pretty good. Or just google videos of hood latches failing.
Another reason is I just shipped my car from Hawaii to Tennessee and didn't want people under my hood.

As for the waste of good hood, that's a matter of opinion....my hood still serves its purpose just more safely and because they lock with a key, someone can't just yank on the cable to open it.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
The OEM latch is the exact reason why I installed them.....I don't trust them. When you're going 70 on the freeway just watch the gap between the fender and hood, mine wobbles pretty good. Or just google videos of hood latches failing.
Another reason is I just shipped my car from Hawaii to Tennessee and didn't want people under my hood.

As for the waste of good hood, that's a matter of opinion....my hood still serves its purpose just more safely and because they lock with a key, someone can't just yank on the cable to open it.

the wabble probably means you need to adjust your latch.

it may need to come down some or even your rubber stoppers need to come up to make the hood fit a bit tighter.

also not sure if youve tried to just yank the cable to open the hood. tried it on my buddies car whos hood got stuck. yea not as easy as it may seem.

none the less job was done well not sure on the angle i think i personal would like them straight but thats just me. good work.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the wabble probably means you need to adjust your latch.

it may need to come down some or even your rubber stoppers need to come up to make the hood fit a bit tighter.

also not sure if youve tried to just yank the cable to open the hood. tried it on my buddies car whos hood got stuck. yea not as easy as it may seem.

none the less job was done well not sure on the angle i think i personal would like them straight but thats just me. good work.
the wobble is nothing drastic. And no i personally have not tried to yank it, was just told by a friend that's how thief's get under the hood at times. Thanks though I took my time, but now i'm thinking i went with the wrong angle, but I like it.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
It is a very clean install. What I meant by wasting a hood was about how hard it sounds to get parts in Hawaii or how expensive shipping is.

As far as yanking the cable it's not as easy as it sounds. Also Google hood cable re route. I do appreciate the effort security wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts