Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a n00b to the forum. I was never really into this kind of stuff until I realized how much information there is to offer from a site like this. So, I'm glad to finally be a part of it all. lol

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.

I just recently had a VERY similar predicament as to what reallyhighcivic94 went through on his post here -
http://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/162300-aem-5-bolt-cam-gear-broken.html

I installed an AEM 5 bolt TruTime cam gear on my mini-me swap (D15b8 block - d16z6 head - Del Sol Si 5 speed tranny) on February 5th, 2013. It was nice while it lasted.... A WHOPPING 4 MONTHS. Rough estimate of around 2,200 miles on it as the car doesn't really get driven much.

My brother was driving my 94 hatch the past Friday night when all of a sudden he heard a loud clunk, bogging down, then the engine just stopped. He said he was cruising at 60mph on the highway when it happened. I think that's probably about 2500 RPM or so?

I'm pretty pissed to say the least. AEM is a pretty well-know manufacturer, and the cam gear cost me I think about $95. I looked it up, and quite a few people have had this happen to them.

I pulled the head off the block this weekend to inspect the damages, and the valves definitely had a date with the pistons that night. They're pretty bent up and out of shape.

Big thanks to my dad for coming to the rescue with his tow dolly. He bought it last year and has not had a use for it yet. Unfortunately, the hatch gets the honor of breaking it in. :/

Here are some pictures

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought it brand new February of this year. About 2,200 miles on it.

Not sure if I wanna build it up again or just go with a d15b head and call it a day.

I'm still pretty upset about it all. I would have never guessed that this would happen.

·
Registered
526 Posts
id give them a call and tell them they need to cover some of the cost and send a new cam gear. since its their product that failed an caused a lot of damage.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
holy shit would I be pissed.

Heres my theory and correct me if Im wrong:

You pay a premium price for name brand parts because they are supposed to be top of the line..People race em', put them thru the paces and the manufacturer is marketing their parts as race worthy.

you guys following me here..

Well id say 90% of the honda community are either Noobs or Hobbyist.. They arent hot lapping or doing 30+ laps on a road course.. These parts should hold up to day to day usage.
I will admit I have S2 bseries gears on my build at the moment, but i havent cranked the new engine yet.
But my point being is These brands who used to be quality, are now low quality shit like OBX,BLOX,Megen, _______ <insert your brand here

And the problem is when they fail, no one pays except the hobbyist/noob who look up to these manufuacturers. The brands are getting paid no matter if your shit blows up or not (in not gettign into the S2 drama from the past, but you K people know what I mean)

I know most of these parts are supposed to be for off-road use and thats the manufacturers way of getting out of warranties and liabilities.

If that shit can handle off road, it can handle a trip down Any Street USA.

(Hsu)- WARRANTY YOUR PRODUCT and the disasters that come with it!
Edit- AEM too! ^^
/Rant

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
holy shit. talk about breakage.

:0

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
You realize this could have been a result of debris, like RTV or teflon tape getting around the oil filter bypass, or just gotten through a hole, blocking oil flow to the cylinder head,

Or the cam caps could have been over torqued, or just low on oil.

a Seized/seizing cam would do this.

I'd check the cam and journals.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Rocking the same cam gear. Alot of failures come from people over tightening the hold down bolts. The unneeded torque on the bolts causes hairline fractures which cause weak spots. I think the proper torque is like 15 lbs. its not much. may even be 12...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Gonna have to agree with others stating that something else probably caused the failure.

I have seen the AEM 5 bolt gears deal with a hell of a lot more stress than a stock or mild SOHC cam is likely to induce.

I tend to be a big fan of these personally:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly not sure what spelled disaster for my poor little Z6 head, there's quite a few possibilities, but I don't really care much to pinpoint what it was. Oh well, shit happens I suppose. Not too much you can do about it once the damage is already done. :frown: Still not sure what I'm gonna do about the rebuild process. Once I do, It'll probably end up being a build thread since my brother and I started doing the body while while she's sitting dormant in the garage. Might as well make her nice if I'm going to be putting more money into it. We'll see how everything goes!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts