Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so this is my first post on d-series. Ive always just been a reader with all the good info on here, but I thought I would share this one with you all. Ok so on my way home a few nights ago I was doing about 50-55 mph in 5th gear at about 2k rpms. I then all of the sudden here a pop and then my rpms dropped to 0. I pulled over and popped the hood to find that the cam gear was laying there and the center of it with the bolt was still secured to the head tightly.

My buddies couldnt believe what they were seeing when i showed them lol. First thoughts were something had to have seized to snap a cam gear, and that the head was probably f'ed with bent vavles. Well I put a stock z6 cam gear back on with same everything else and what do you know the engine purrs again.

Have any of you witnessed or heard of this happening befor? Did i just get a lemon cam gear? I will be contacting AEM, and I will be posting on how they treat me.

BTW, my setup is a z6 bottom w/ y8 head (and yes the cam gear was for y8). The cam gear had 27xx miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
please post up what AEM tells you! Lots of people buy from AEM, and yes, this has happened before. I myself dont specifically search for these kinds of mishaps, so perhaps it is a defective batch, or you simply had some bad luck.

Due to the miles you had on it, it was most likely NOT a case of you overtightening the adjusting bolts.

·
Premium Member
96 Honda Civic
985 Posts
shitty cam gear
that shouldn't happen
aem should give you a new one
That's what I was thinking! WTF!!! At least nothing else was destroyed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@mattliston- Forsure man, definitely will be posting the outcome of all this, I really doubt they were over torqued too, only little 8mm wrench on them.

@CGVtico- Sorry forgot to mention all internals stock. I would think that AEM tested their design and product thoroughly, hopefully was just a fluke.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Another reason why if you do not need to manually adjust your mechanical timing to use a stock cam gear! Glad to hear that you didn't damage the motor! AEM needs to give you a free replacement; then you can sell it. LOL!

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Due to the miles you had on it, it was most likely NOT a case of you overtightening the adjusting bolts.
2700 and some change? Or you being sarcastic? From the way i see it, it looks like it broke clean into two of the slots for the adjuster bolts, my thought would be it was over tightened and cracked causing premature fatigue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2700 and some change? Or you being sarcastic? From the way i see it, it looks like it broke clean into two of the slots for the adjuster bolts, my thought would be it was over tightened and cracked causing premature fatigue.
but wouldnt you agree that they should make theirs strong enough to prevent things like that?

I think they owe you a new one at the very least

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
I agree on shity design. I have always liked the original 3 bolt better. Some say the 3 bolt gear slips but I've ran mine for 2 years with not a single issue. AEM should replace it for free. Good luck.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
but wouldnt you agree that they should make theirs strong enough to prevent things like that?

I think they owe you a new one at the very least
Yes and no. If they say 12ft lbs, and you go 25, thats your fault. If they say 12ft lbs, and you go 13 and snap it, there fault.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That is kind of an interesting fracture failure. It would be interesting to see better pics of the fractured surfaces themselves.

I would bet it is a material problem rather than an installation problem unless you used a 3 bl sledge to drive it on the end of the cam. lol.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Oh did i mention, i also am currently running the AEM 5 bolt cam gear. No problems.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Maybe not exactly all 5 being over torqued.

Only some of the actual bolt slots broke.This was probably the source, and maybe too much belt tension.

Did you tighten them down in the crisscross pattern first of all?

If the belt tension was a little extra, it could have been twisting the gear a little if the bolts aren't all tightened closely to each other causing this.

When was the last time you checked the gear? The gear could have be progressively getting worse until it fatigued and completely failed at regular load.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts