Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 97 ex and my plans are to build it to handle a gt30r with hopes of around 500 horsepower. any advice on the best parts and products to handle 30 lbs of boost?:thehump:

·
Registered
140 Posts
sleeve the block - i believe RS Machine is a sponsor
Good rod/piston combo
Uber nice turbo mani and full kit - talk to greg @ go-autoworks
good sized FMIC
1000cc precision squirters
tune session

thats a pretty basic list there - other things are gonna be needed but thats ur basic hardware ur gonna need...

·
Registered
109 Posts
dont forget to include suspension and tranny componets in the budget.

500 whp is great but you need a clutch strong enough to grip it.

a tranny stout enough to handle all the power

cv axles that will not snap like tooth pics

good engine mounts and probably even mount inserts to help with the movment in the engine bay

a traction bar

bigger wheel studs to hold rims big enough to hold tires capable to gripping.

pretty much repalce everything rubber in the front end.

a good stiff set of coilovers

as said before...search.

Buying all name brand parts doesn't guarentee you a fast car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont forget to include suspension and tranny componets in the budget.

500 whp is great but you need a clutch strong enough to grip it.

a tranny stout enough to handle all the power

cv axles that will not snap like tooth pics

good engine mounts and probably even mount inserts to help with the movment in the engine bay

a traction bar

bigger wheel studs to hold rims big enough to hold tires capable to gripping.

pretty much repalce everything rubber in the front end.

a good stiff set of coilovers

as said before...search.

Buying all name brand parts doesn't guarentee you a fast car.

thanks i've been searching all over the place and doing tons of research, i just need a good place to start because there's so much to do. :bong:

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
Honestly, I know this is D-Series.org but if you want that sort of power, why not just build and boost a B. It'll be alot cheaper and easier in the end. It can be done, but unless you just really want to say you made 500whp w/ a D, going B is the best, most reliable, and cost effective option. Just my .02

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
i have to agree, to take a D to 500 whp is extremely expensive and wont work as a daily driver very well, but a GSR build could hit 500 whp with a pretty straight forward build, i love my D but i know its limits.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have to agree, to take a D to 500 whp is extremely expensive and wont work as a daily driver very well, but a GSR build could hit 500 whp with a pretty straight forward build, i love my D but i know its limits.
X2

I've never made over 400wheel on a D (but then again, never had a customer that wanted that). Did 3 B18 setups towards the end of last year that made over 500 on pump gas....Its alot more achievable with a B series than a D...just my .02 also...

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
sleeve the block - i believe RS Machine is a sponsor :TU:
Good rod/piston combo
Uber nice turbo mani and full kit - talk to greg @ go-autoworks :TU: yay
good sized FMIC :TU: definately
1000cc precision squirters
tune session

thats a pretty basic list there - other things are gonna be needed but thats ur basic hardware ur gonna need...
After that, then look at working on the head and it's components. You'll have to make the whole setup work efficiently well together.

I agree there as well.

X2

I've never made over 400wheel on a D (but then again, never had a customer that wanted that). Did 3 B18 setups towards the end of last year that made over 500 on pump gas....Its alot more achievable with a B series than a D...just my .02 also...
I think there has been a recent explosion of the high whp Ds since last year. With a few getting to the 500-600whp range and in the 9s, it has stricken alot of interest everywhere. I'm surprised at how many "big hp D builds" there are floating around, many shooting for 500-700whp. It would definately be easier to do it w/ a B series...but I think the "wow/underdog/told you it was just a SOHC" factor has alot to do with it. Hopefully, people will search an understand it's alot more to it than just slapping a big turbo on it and calling it a day. (same goes for B series, I'm sure alot of topmounts and big turbos get sold to B owners who have no clue as well)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts