Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Civic EX. Under the hood is a d16z6, completely stocked out (as far as I know).

My synchros went out, and I'm wondering if it's worth my time to repair it. I've been told that the transmission is not the problem, and that if I repair or replace the transmission (also the head and several gaskets, but that's an unrelated issue), I can fix the long-term problem with polyurethane motor mount bushings.

I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade what I can, since either way I'll be replacing components (if not just swapping in something better), but I don't have much of a budget to work with.

I'm wondering what the cheapest way to get a dohc vtec in there would be.

Until today, I was under the impression that d16s were only sohc.

Is it possible to get a dohc head with vtec that will fit my d16z6?

Also, should I try to repair the transmission or replace it?

I think the block is probably fine, but I'm burning and leaking oil all over the place, so I need to get some new gaskets, particularly the head and oil pan gaskets, and I might need to repair or replace the head itself. I'm sure a little milling and grinding would do wonders for my performance and mileage. However, if I can just get a better head, that would be ideal. I'm wondering if it's possible to put a dohc head on it, and still have my vtec and obd1 wiring harness.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, exactly. The synchros went out because supposedly the front and rear motor mounts allow too much play, and it causes excessive wear. Therefore the synchros aren't the problem, the motor mounts are. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's what I've been told.

So no chance I could switch out the head for something better?

What are some other ways I can modify this engine while I've got it apart.

I'm not interested in putting a turbo on it. I'm not going for performance, I'm going for durability and long life.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Replace your motor mounts and report back on the shifting issues. Also check to see if you have gear oil in the trans. You should have engine oil in the trans not gear oil.

No you can’t simply bolt on a dual cam head. Although the mods to support a dual screen head are not extreme, given your understanding of the synchros I’m going to say no don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts