Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I want to build my Y8 in my EK, but don't exactly know where to start.
Currently, I have a cold air intake, and a full HKS cat back exhaust.
I'm not sure where to go from here, I basically want to get as much HP and torque from my engine without spending a ton of money.

I was looking into buying a Skunk2 tuner series stage 1 camshaft and a Skunk2 pro series cam gear.
The only thing is, I don't know if that'd be the best use of my money or not.

Like I said, I'm on a budget, but have a good four or five hundred dollars ready to go towards it, but after that, getting money will be real slow moving.

So any advice or tips on building my Y8 would be great help.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
keep reading and searching other y8/z6 vtec builds in general...youll find lots of ideas.

good use of $ is subjective...but since you want a little more "go" you first need to decide if you want to go turbo or n/a.

if its n/a (based on the cam/cam gear idea) then lots can be done with $500 to start with. fyi skunk2 doesnt make a cam for the d-series anymore...if they ever did at all.
but regardless a cam is a good starting point.

look into a delta cam 272 or 272-2 regrind...you will have to send them a cam core to start with but its about 100+ and a good quality cam from an awesome business. youll find lots of support for delta on this site and deservedly so. you could run stock cam gear to save some $

...depending on the specs of the grind new valve springs would be a good idea if it utilizes substantially higher lift (like a 272 or so). supertechs are 125 shipped...other companies are a little more most of the time. to save lots of $ you could run two sets of exhaust springs from a y8 if youre not planning on reving too high.

a b-series honda OEM 60mm throttle body is a nice little bolt on and can be found for cheap. its just right for the d-series set ups. $45-65 on ebay normally.

since you have a y8 intake manifold and a hks exhaust and CA intake i would look into a chipped ecu which means converting your car to obd1 from obd2. this opens alot of doors tuning wise. plan on spending $100-150.

theres a few ideas to naw on. welcome to D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice man.
I am planning on keeping it n/a, wanted to go all engine.
I actually have found Skunk2 cams and cam gears for D series, not particularly easy to find, but I found em' and for decent a price as well.
But I'll definitely look into some of those ideas.

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
mill the head, do some port work with a little machine work to freshen up the top end,get a decent cam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts