Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to up grade the turbo on my hillclimb/autox build.
here's the build
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/144096-high-compression-vitara-race-engine.html

My competition just upped his engine to 255-260 hp. So, I'm going to need more than the 180hp I'm putting down with the gt1752 on the hills. I want a quick spooling turbo that will hold until 7000rpm. I would like to have full spool by 3000 or so rpm. 250 to 300 hp is the goal. I have a t3 and t25 manifold to use. I'm thinking a t28 like a disco potato would get me to were I need to be. Would this turbo spool quick enough?
T25/T28 TURBO WASTEGATE NISSAN S13 S14 CA18DET SR20DET | eBay
I know it's an ebay turbo, but I can't see spending 1k on new turbo. Hell, I could buy an extra one of these to take along with me to the races at that price. Any other suggestions for a turbo? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I'm about to us that turbo check my build theard for infor, it has a link to were I got mines from. It is very well build and was balcenced. Friend is running one in his 240sx. Got mines from dirffoumra or seomthing like that. Link n my sign.

Should be fully spooled by 3k

·
McLOVIN
2002 Civic Si
800 Posts
Import tuner pushed a stock sr20 with a t28 to 280whp iirc... Might be cheaper.than a disco potato but is running out.of breath at that point. I dont have a compressor.map on it atm, might needa do somemath.

·
Registered
Jeep wrangler DD
225 Posts
Disco potato would be an excellent choice. My buddies car made 250hp and just over 280tq. We also maxed out a t28 on an sr20 in a 240, at around 280

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My DSM buddy runs a ported T25 turbo in his built 2nd gen chassis. he pushes over 25 psi, might be over 30. he hits 12s on slicks in that heavy ass boat

get a t25, have it rebuilt by PROFESSIONALS. port the housing, and crank the damn boost up.

everyone likes power 2500-8000 rpm dont they?

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
T28 should be tits and it spools fast my friend used to run this on his z6 it was a blast.

·
Registered
610 Posts
This (gt2560r): S15 SR20DET TURBO 240SX JDM OEM NEW | eBay

Took me to 240whp @ 15psi on my low comp (8.4-1) setup, with a wide powerband (full boost from ~3600rpm). It is real garret turbo. BB gives awesome responce, perfect for what you want. Way cheaper than the other garrett bb turbo's I have seen out there too

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The first turbo linked is not going to be worth much for you, man. You are going to be pushing everything in your car to the max, and Steinar gave you a really, really awesome find. That's one of the best compromises for what you want in a compact and reliable package.

The other option I would recommend is the Disco Potato (aka the GT2860R, the R being important). It's bigger than the Nissan turbo, but won't spool badly and will hold well to redline, better than the Nissan turbo which isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other option I would recommend is the Disco Potato (aka the GT2860R, the R being important). It's bigger than the Nissan turbo, but won't spool badly and will hold well to redline, better than the Nissan turbo which isn't bad at all.
Yeah I know. This is exactly what I want. I just don't want to spend the money for it. I might have to though. :pinch:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
hey buddy....the only advice i can give on knock off turbos is that godspeed has some quality control.....not anything like garrett/percision/ bog/ etc.....but some is better than none with generic ebay turbo's

they also come with a 1 year warrenty against defects as long as its installed by a ase cert. mechanic, i dont know about you but i know a couple that would print me a invoice for installation for a wopper value meal.....if you catch my drift

240sx s13 s14 sr20 sr20det gt28 t28 turbo charger 350hp | eBay

i think this may be right up your ally for what your looking for

i have had a buddy recommend them for people on a budget....all the godspeed turbos i know of never had a problem and are still in use today.....not one failure

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey buddy....the only advice i can give on knock off turbos is that godspeed has some quality control.....not anything like garrett/percision/ bog/ etc.....but some is better than none with generic ebay turbo's

they also come with a 1 year warrenty against defects as long as its installed by a ase cert. mechanic, i dont know about you but i know a couple that would print me a invoice for installation for a wopper value meal.....if you catch my drift

240sx s13 s14 sr20 sr20det gt28 t28 turbo charger 350hp | eBay

i think this may be right up your ally for what your looking for

i have had a buddy recommend them for people on a budget....all the godspeed turbos i know of never had a problem and are still in use today.....not one failure
I'm ASE certified :bigok:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm going to up grade the turbo on my hillclimb/autox build.
here's the build
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/144096-high-compression-vitara-race-engine.html

My competition just upped his engine to 255-260 hp. So, I'm going to need more than the 180hp I'm putting down with the gt1752 on the hills. I want a quick spooling turbo that will hold until 7000rpm. I would like to have full spool by 3000 or so rpm. 250 to 300 hp is the goal. I have a t3 and t25 manifold to use. I'm thinking a t28 like a disco potato would get me to were I need to be. Would this turbo spool quick enough?
T25/T28 TURBO WASTEGATE NISSAN S13 S14 CA18DET SR20DET | eBay
I know it's an ebay turbo, but I can't see spending 1k on new turbo. Hell, I could buy an extra one of these to take along with me to the races at that price. Any other suggestions for a turbo? Any advice would be appreciated.
You've seen my dyno plots. That is @ 10 psi. I'm sure I could up the boost some in the little T25 and get a bit more power. I'm at 215 now. 250 is probably doable with my current parts, but you've also seen that the T25 is running out of breath up top.

I've never hill climbed, but I imagine mid range is going to be way more important than top end. If that is the case, the T25 may get you there. The T28 will certainly get you closer to the 300 mark, and it won't spool bad, but I don't know if it will make people say "HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A 4 CYLINDER!?!?!" like they do with mine after they see it dig out of a corner.

I don't think any of these is a bad answer. And you know better than most I'm sure that engine is only a small fraction of what it takes to make these fast in competition. If the guy who stepped it up can't put it down, can't turn, etc., then he could have 1000 HP and it won't matter.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You've seen my dyno plots. That is @ 10 psi. I'm sure I could up the boost some in the little T25 and get a bit more power. I'm at 215 now. 250 is probably doable with my current parts, but you've also seen that the T25 is running out of breath up top.

I've never hill climbed, but I imagine mid range is going to be way more important than top end. If that is the case, the T25 may get you there. The T28 will certainly get you closer to the 300 mark, and it won't spool bad, but I don't know if it will make people say "HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A 4 CYLINDER!?!?!" like they do with mine after they see it dig out of a corner.

I don't think any of these is a bad answer. And you know better than most I'm sure that engine is only a small fraction of what it takes to make these fast in competition. If the guy who stepped it up can't put it down, can't turn, etc., then he could have 1000 HP and it won't matter.
He can drive. He's an old road racer/autoxer. He has areo now too :(

·
Registered
My Civic
861 Posts
My DSM buddy runs a ported T25 turbo in his built 2nd gen chassis. he pushes over 25 psi, might be over 30. he hits 12s on slicks in that heavy ass boat

get a t25, have it rebuilt by PROFESSIONALS. port the housing, and crank the damn boost up.

everyone likes power 2500-8000 rpm dont they?
thats one pissed off t25 ill promise you that

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
try to find a greddy 18g turbo, nice spool and I think It will give you the numbers you are looking for.

If Im not wrong, I saw one on sale here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts