Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am a new member to the site and this is also my first real "in depth" build. That being said I have done uncountable hours of research and I also know how to use the search bar for those of you who will probably yell at me. I have used this site much and gotten so many answers but I am at the point now where I need some advice for my specific situation.

I need help figuring out what size turbo to get and if my setup will achieve my goals. Long term I want to put out over 450hp on a reliable daily driver but I probably need more head work first. For right now I want to get over 300 hp at 18psi but want to be able to run out of boost so what size turbo would give me lag but not too much like kick in at 3500 and reach max boost by 5k and what waste gate spring?

Now for what I got so far
D16z6 head new (oem) valves, springs, retainers, stock cam, milled decked port polish and 3angle valve job
Eagle h-beam rods
Ycp vitara teflon coated pistons 75.5
Acl race main&rod bearings
New oem oil pump water pump
Vms lightweight crank pully
Complete gasket & seal kit
Gm 3bar map sensor
Dsm 450cc black tops ( but I think im going to get something between 600-800cc depending on what I find)

There is more random stuff too probably not relevant though
I was planning on buying an ebay emusa turbo kit just to have everything and then swap some things out with better components like tial wastegate and a reliable turbo but I really need to know what will be the best for a high boost daily driver. Is a gt35 too big?
Well thanks for reading and your patience any advice will be helpfull even constructive criticism. I know z6 vitara builds have been done over and over but this one is mine and im trying to do it right

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would suggest looking into a go-autoworks kit. They are good quality and you don't have worry about the hit or miss ebay parts.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
you don't need a lightweight crank pulley

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

Now for what I got so far
D16z6 head new (oem) valves, springs, retainers, stock cam, milled decked port polish and 3angle valve job
Eagle h-beam rods
Ycp vitara teflon coated pistons 75.5
Acl race main&rod bearings
New oem oil pump water pump
Vms lightweight crank pully
Complete gasket & seal kit
Gm 3bar map sensor
Dsm 450cc black tops ( but I think im going to get something between 600-800cc depending on what I find)

There is more random stuff too probably not relevant though
I was planning on buying an ebay emusa turbo kit just to have everything and then swap some things out with better components like tial wastegate and a reliable turbo.....I know z6 vitara builds have been done over and over but this one is mine and im trying to do it right
first off you an injector calculator. When you do your understand what im talking about.

Hit up hiprofile for your injector needs tho.
Throw the light weight pulley in the trash. I have seen to many people mess up there motors with them.
Most of the head can be stock. P and P it and call it a day. People have used the stock head for 400hp.

Next it would make no sense to buy an emusa kit only to replace all the parts.
The best thing to do is hit up go autoworks and get a street kit and bolt it on.
Dont forget that you would need a tune. I would say 2 times. Once when the motor is build and then when the tune is installed.

Check the showcase threads for some ideas.
I cant recommend a turbo for you as im not that skilled in turbo sizes.
But most turbos that output high hp will spool later on. Its just a trade off.
You can get something that is twin scroll for a faster spool.

and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info I was just looking on go-autoworks and that does seem like the way to go alot less messing around and parting together. Its a little pricy so I will have to save a bit more first but it all adds up anyways. And I will have to do some more research on injector sizing. The only reason I got the light weight crank pully is cause I needed one in general. Is it bad to run it? Its not underdrive its oem size its just aluminum. And yes I plan on getting a good tune I dont want to come all this way and skimp where it really matters I was however going to try and just run a base map for breakin and only run like 7 or 8 psi. Is that a bad idea? I did look into that and came to the conclusion I would be fine I drive alot of highway miles so really I could break it in within a week or 2 and then get a real tune

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do a quick search for "Crank Pulley" and read the first thread with that exact name and you will get your answers :)

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Thanks for the info I was just looking on go-autoworks and that does seem like the way to go alot less messing around and parting together. Its a little pricy so I will have to save a bit more first but it all adds up anyways. And I will have to do some more research on injector sizing. The only reason I got the light weight crank pully is cause I needed one in general. Is it bad to run it? Its not underdrive its oem size its just aluminum. And yes I plan on getting a good tune I dont want to come all this way and skimp where it really matters I was however going to try and just run a base map for breakin and only run like 7 or 8 psi. Is that a bad idea? I did look into that and came to the conclusion I would be fine I drive alot of highway miles so really I could break it in within a week or 2 and then get a real tune
Don't get hung up on psi. 6 psi could made 300 hp or 10 psi make 200hp.
It all depends on the turbo and tune.
Also base maps are pretty rich and that isn't good for a new motor that's trying to seal the rings.
And research your see why the pulley is bad and what it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much I never really looked into that pulley I will just grab an oem one I was going to pick up another block anyways cause I bought mine stripped and am building it from the ground up. So now im starting to realize how many random bolts and stuff im missing. But have any of you ran any thing bigger then a t3/t4 turbo on vitara build?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
bigger turbos take longer to spool, just sayin'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after calculating for injector size it looks like I will be needing at least 750cc to meet my demands. And thank you so much for turning me onto go-autoworks after countless hours of researching turbos and sizes and reviews on here im pretty sure I want to go with the turbonetics t3 60 in .63a/r and its offered in vband cause I wanted to do that setup instead anyways. Now the only question is is it worth the 300 for the ball bearing upgrade? Lol
Just sucks knowing more money in better parts is going to add time onto this build cause obviously anybody building the piss out of a civic isnt loaded. But its the collecting parts thats pricy I just cant wait to start putting it together. Block is getting bored this week... more to come and thanks again all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back and forth with my piston decision I was looking into cp and weisco first and then everyone seemed to be so happy with these ycp vitaras and what they can handle (a write up on them on here says up to 500hp) that I decided to go with them and also save a couple bucks. And ill be honest sure im shooting for over 400hp and it will really all depend on the tune but it seems like everyone doing a vitara build is shooting for 400 but ends up with only about 250-350. So I think they should fine where ever I actually end up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your best bet if your car is currently running is to build your second engine swap and break it in NA running just like stock. Once broken in swap to turbo and get it tuned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was considering that but I have been worried about how low the compression will be with the 75.5 vitaras. I really wont know how low for sure until its all together. Im not really sure how much decking really will effect it I know .016 has been milled of head and I dont have a number for block yet. And im using z6 head gasket. I was considering a dyno break in at this point. Im just worried about the clutch really

1 - 15 of 15 Posts