Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i had the Thred also with the 98ex Vs the 99Dx, i figured out what was wrong and i suggest anyone willing to get more power out of there car to do the same as long as YOU DO IT RIGHt. Today i got together with my mechanic, we advanced the timmng on my civic to about 18 degrees. No knocking whatsoever. Running super Unleaded. the car feels like it picked up almost 10 whp at the wheels. Not to bad if you ask me. time to re run with my freind agian muahah. anyways, this is a fun post to either answer back to or share your experences. i would write more and probably spell check but damn iam tired. hahaha

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Unless your car was way out of timing then there is no way you should have advanced it that much.. That only helps low end, if you want more Top end the idea is to retard the timing on Cam..

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys iam exagerating. The fact of the matter is, that when i retarded the timming everything got all slow. when i advanced it everything through the entire powerband picked up insane. yet no detonation, no knocking pinging etc. i think it was off a bit, but the difference it made is purly night and day. besides, iam being sarcastic, no need to bash your supposed to talk about how "nice it is" to advance the timming on your car. ITS FREE POWER DAMIT. anyways

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
guest said:
10 whp from advancing the timing 2 degress........ Your butt dyno needs to be calibrated.

wrong. he has an ek. the stock timing on d series ek's is 12btdc. so it was more like 6 degrees advance.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe it made a hell of a difference guys. My car seems to be eating a little more gas though. Im running 91 pre, but i guess its worth it, in all honesty, iam getting tired of this N/a shit quick and thinking of bulding my own turbo kit. The car needs to be smogged soon so i will get it legaly smogged then through on a good put together kit. Any ideas on what turbo to use??? etc... im thinking T-3 Garr turbo, ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i moved the distibutor

W

·
0 Posts
if you going turbo then read the stickys on the forced induction section before asking stupid question that are covered in stickys. also were not the only site for honda on the internet, honda-tech has good stickys as well for turbo applications

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow didnt know asking a quick question was so univited, if it makes you that upset then dont read it. asking a quick question in a thred doesnt need to turn into a retard war

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Wow you guys didnt even ask for clarification; when people refer to timing it can be either the ignition timing, or cam timing. In this case, it's ignition(hence he said he moved the distributor, nothing about a cam gear).

Advancing the timing a little does help with power; but boost guys like to retard a little to help prevent detonation.

btw, my old D15B2 was stuck at around 20-22 degrees advanced timing...it didnt detonate with 93 but ran pretty crappy.

W

·
0 Posts
Jcazz said:
wow didnt know asking a quick question was so univited, if it makes you that upset then dont read it. asking a quick question in a thred doesnt need to turn into a retard war
opps didn't mean to say stupid. really wasn't trying to be an ass, after lookin it over it does look like i was. but everything i said besides the stupid is true

·
Registered
ej1
533 Posts
the only problem with advancig and retarding is that it cant be certain what kind of power u are making...i mean sure advancing the timeing in theory is supposed to give u more low end but u have no idea if it keeps going up..goes up and evens out or goes up and tehn drops off....

well after having my cam timeing advanced i have decided to retard it to see if it helps in top end...jstu ahve to try different things and see what u like best

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its ok man, well the top end pulls harder along with the complete low end as well, but it eats gas alive now. My mileage is down the drain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts