Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 92 hatch with a built bottom end. This is my first Honda and I want to add a turbo but the PO bored it .010 over and put in high compression pistons (11:1 right now). Originally I was going to take out the existing pistons and put vitara pistons in but I don't think I can get them with the overbore.

So I need some piston suggestions. I plan on building the car to a 350whp long distance driver.

There are several civics, subarus and 240s around running eBay turbo kits. Have these kits gotten better or am I still better of sourcing a complete kit from full race, edelbrok or ? Or putting my own together?

My last car (a GSX) had an AEM EMS, but was a seriously modified car. What type of computer/ tuning do I need to hit my HP goal in this car? I'd like to be able to run a 91 and a 100 octane tune.

Ideas??

·
Registered
337 Posts
He wants 350ish whp^^^^ id keep whats in the block and turbo that, ebay kits are hit and miss "turbo wise" Find the shop u want to tune your car, and start asking them questions He will tell u most of what you want to know.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would keep the pistons personally but what kind of fuel are you going to use? Thats going to make a big difference right there. As for ebay turbo kits you get what you pay for. Give us a call if you have any questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can boost the high comp also you will need less boost to make good power, and also you will retain good torque but need a good tune! I'm doing a 11:1 comp turbo build hopefully next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting I was under the impression that you had to have lower compression or it was at least desired when running a turbo. If I don't have to change the pistons that would be great. I'd really like to be able to run 91 octane as that is the highest we have normally available (I do have a 100 octane pump a mile from my house but it's not practical to run it on this all the time especially if i travel out of town). I have to get the current state of the car worked out.

Right now at peak RPM I am getting detonation (pinging, knocking). The original owner suggested I get a thicker head gasket to drop the CR down to 10.5:1. I can easily do this.

I haven't had a chance to really get into the car as it is at my brothers house 200 miles away. I am waiting for my p28 to come as the car didn't have one when I purchased it (test drove it with a borrowed PCM). I will drive it home get it in the shop and then really get to work on it.

So I think I'll go this route:

Leave existing pistons and install a thicker head gasket.
Ram Horn Style EM (full race, go, who else makes a good one?)
t3/t4 .63 trim turbo
Already has warlboro 255
ebay FMIC kit
tial wastegate
BOV (can't decide which to get yet)
550 cc injectors (what brand?)
Downpipe (suggestions?)
Tuning (Hondata? Neptune? I need to do more research on these)
Fuel Pressure regulator (suggestions?)
Ignition?

What am I forgetting here? What other suggestions? What about spark plugs?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Ok first is the car tuned for the 11:1 comp? If not then that's why she pings, also run 91 plus with that high comp.
Plug would be 2 step colder, part number is all over this board.
Ebay turbos can be good. The main problems are over boosting them and they eat them self. Or oil rings going out because there cheap.
On the kit. The downpipe you should make or send out for goauto. Fuel pressure reg isn't needed. Ingition system is good till 400whp, ppl have pushed it passed that.
Ecu get a p28 and chip it. What managment to run is up in the air. Hondata ,ectune, neptune.

*Edit
Don't forget your gauges. Boost , wideband o2 and oil psi atlest.
Also u need oil lines feed/return. Other then that i believe you got your list down

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll wrap my mind around the tune for the 11:1 as soon as I get it in the shop, I bet that is the problem, it's probably running lean. I'm not going to risk an ebay turbo. I am a gauge freak so I'll for sure install them.

I found some ram style EMs on ebay are they safe or am I going to have to worry about welds blowing out on me?

What do you recommend for a wideband?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I'll wrap my mind around the tune for the 11:1 as soon as I get it in the shop, I bet that is the problem, it's probably running lean. I'm not going to risk an ebay turbo. I am a gauge freak so I'll for sure install them.

I found some ram style EMs on ebay are they safe or am I going to have to worry about welds blowing out on me?

What do you recommend for a wideband?
I hear that cx racing makes good manifold but i never ran one before, so dont know first hand.

As for wideband im running a aem uego paid $168 shipped. Works great has 0-5volt output for dataloging and its an install is as easy as 1,2,3.

and yea i seen people run gsr on p28 saying that it makes them faster but all it does is lean it out and blow up a few months later.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm using a cast $50 manifold from Ebay, 235whp at 7.5 psi on a T3 60 trim .60/.63 ar. General consensus is that it works.

As for downpipe, I took a flange to my local exhaust shop and had them make it. 2.5" all the way back for $190, including flex pipe...they quoted me $160 initially but got pissed that it got busy so they charged me more. You should go for 3"

Cheapest walboro 255 fuel pump I found was $79 shipped, the guy ships fast and comes with install kit. I can vouch for him
Walbro pump w/kit 79 shipped, RC injectors - Honda-Tech

I pieced together my kit...got the turbo for $125 shipped with new seals/bearings, SS braided oil drain for free, JB welded a fitting into my oil pan for the drain.

Paid $50 for some piping, couplers, and a oil feed line, I used 3 adapters on each end to make it work but it was cheap. Otherwise I'd go to fast-turbo.com and get their complete kit for $99.

You need a chipped P28 or p06 with vtec and get it tuned before booosting. You also need a basemap for limping the car to the tuner, I ordered mine from xenocron.com and it worked fine. Sometimes there are nice people on the forum who can burn you one :) Go to a reputable tuner.

Oh and I'm using a JDM sport intercooler, it works fine. Can't beat $60 from Ebay haha

·
Registered
852 Posts
Or, you could get a complete kit. I wanted to save some money and learn what everything does and be able to say that I pieced together my setup rather than buying a prefabbed one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or, you could get a complete kit. I wanted to save some money and learn what everything does and be able to say that I pieced together my setup rather than buying a prefabbed one.
I get that. That is where I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to get all the parts or just get a kit. There are A LOT of good build threads on here I am reading.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts