Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as said many many many times before you get what you paid for...

Got a ebay kit on the cheap and thought I would try it out for fun,, :death:

First off with the manifold... I had to grind the top of the manifold runners so I could get the bolts to even fit... Also the bolt holes where all off a good bit...

After getting the manifold and turbo on the block the angle of the turbo was crappy to say best... There was no way to clock the turbo and get a good free flow drain on the oil return line...

The turbo being brand new had a good bit of play on it without even being used. The only good thing I think I seen on the turbo was it looked like someone balanced it.

When I say EVERYTHING was a pain in the A$$ it was! Nothing line up...

Lasted 5 miles because of the oil feed line was turned and you couldn't tell it. One the line got warm it folded over on itself... BTW it was stainless breaded line.

New kit it all US name branded parts... :euro:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
line got warm it folded over on itself... BTW it was stainless breaded line.
Damm they are really getting cheap making the lines out of bread now a days...

sorry for that dumb comment, but which manifold did you get? Cast? I used a full on ebay kit and made 351hp for 15k miles. I also used the ebay oil line. How couldn't you tell the line wasn't kinked? PICS!!!

·
Registered
98 hatch
73 Posts
Sorry to hear it, do you have any pics of the modding you had to do to make it fit? was it AC/PS compatible?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to reverse the turbo kit so I could still keep my AC.. When I did this there was no room for the oil feed line to find... Because of the restrictor on the turbo you bolt on and then the feed line it was touching the manifold. I bought a 90 degree feed line and it still was touching the manifold... A friend of mine and me spent hours trying to clock the turbo so it would clear everything and it SUCKED! I had to shave the top runners to get Cylinder 2 & 3 bolts just to fit on the bolt... we also had to shave the flange so we could clock the turbo the way we needed it.

This time I bought a new log style manifold (Just posted pics on another thread) and a true garrett td03 turbo I scored of evilbay with low miles...

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Pix.

Plus that doesnt mean there all bad, Some to line up and fit. Post which one you got. Sounds like you got shafted tho.

And always buy good lines. I wouldnt run those cheap lines that come with most kits.
some $1 heater hose is 10 times better.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Pix.

Plus that doesnt mean there all bad, Some to line up and fit. Post which one you got. Sounds like you got shafted tho.

And always buy good lines. I wouldnt run those cheap lines that come with most kits.
some $1 heater hose is 10 times better.
you used ebay oil feed lines, thats where i got the idea to buy mine from ebay.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
you used ebay oil feed lines, thats where i got the idea to buy mine from ebay.
Yea but I order brake line from shops on ebay that sell break parts lol.

Those other ebay line that come with the eBay turbo kits look cheap. My friend had a line and it felt so cheap and i think it ended up rusting and it was a 4 an to barb 1/8 ntp and it ended up rounding off really easy.

But there are some sellers on ebay that sell good stuff.
Normally there the ones that don't got JDM all over there pages.

I know wyton and another on that starts with a k , sell good parts.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Yea but I order brake line from shops on ebay that sell break parts lol.

Those other ebay line that come with the eBay turbo kits look cheap. My friend had a line and it felt so cheap and i think it ended up rusting and it was a 4 an to barb 1/8 ntp and it ended up rounding off really easy.

But there are some sellers on ebay that sell good stuff.
Normally there the ones that don't got JDM all over there pages.

I know wyton and another on that starts with a k , sell good parts.
kinugawa?

that's where I got my feedline stuff, hasn't been an issue.

then again I went with a banjo bolt feed not your typical elbow fitting...

·
Registered
Eg Sedan
133 Posts
Simple answer. Installer error. eBay kits WILL work correctly if setup...correctly. That's the whole point with situations like this. People that spend thousands on their turbo setup have it done professionally/know everything on how to install it.

People that buy eBay kits *usually* slap it on, make it fit, and run with it.

You said above there was a problem with the oil feed line, should have stopped right there. There are a few pieces you want to stay clear of with these kits, oil feed lines are usually one of them. Bov's/wastegates can be rebuilt with brand parts for a heck of a lot cheaper than straight up buying the name brand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the oil line was just pure crap... a steel an line shouldn't have folded over on itself like that..
Guess it was a good thing... I end up finding a good log manifold and garrett this time. I'm going to go to my local hose shop and have a American made hose this time.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
ya ive used wytonm vband flanges and vband adapter
yes, got tons of stuff form them.

kinugawa?

that's where I got my feedline stuff, hasn't been an issue.

then again I went with a banjo bolt feed not your typical elbow fitting...
Yes got some flanges from them and they work and weld great.

Simple answer. Installer error. eBay kits WILL work correctly if setup...correctly. That's the whole point with situations like this. People that spend thousands on their turbo setup have it done professionally/know everything on how to install it.

People that buy eBay kits *usually* slap it on, make it fit, and run with it.

You said above there was a problem with the oil feed line, should have stopped right there. There are a few pieces you want to stay clear of with these kits, oil feed lines are usually one of them. Bov's/wastegates can be rebuilt with brand parts for a heck of a lot cheaper than straight up buying the name brand.
100%

install error can play a big part.
I seen some people on a car build off show install a turbo feed and drain upside down. It smoke and they couldnt figure it out. My girl ask if i know what was wrong and i was said yea they need to flip the middle around.

3hrs later (in show time) they got it right and no more smoke.

Also i heard that to make an ebay turbo last longer you need to break it in.
Lube it up and idle it alot then run low boost.
I dont believe ebay turbos are made to run high boost pressure.
I see people use them for 10psi for years then crank it up to 20psi and bang.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I think the oil line was just pure crap... a steel an line shouldn't have folded over on itself like that..
Guess it was a good thing... I end up finding a good log manifold and garrett this time. I'm going to go to my local hose shop and have a American made hose this time.
im pretty sure AN lines are not steel, at least the good quality ones i got from go autoworks were not steel.my ebay drain i bought was braided steel with a plastic inside tube but regular silver AN lines are braided on the outside with tubing on the inside.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts