Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going HF exhaust manifold to TD05 turbo. I stopped at Road Race Engineering and picked up a 1/2" steel TD05/DSM turbo inlet flange. This is what found:

The holes almost line up to the point where they kinda overlap eachother. I didn't have my turbo with me ( it was miles away in my garage) so i couldn't properly position/orient the flange. I may be 90° off.

If I'm 90° off, the flange does not have enough meat to drill new holes to match the HF mani. If I did position it right, what do i do about the overlap? I think i read that you can possibly redrill the HF manifold to match the turbo inlet? Will it have enough sealing surface and not crack? I'm kinda stumped right now and would rather not destroy the flange, much less my HF manifold.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Drill out the holes in the adapter, use a gasket, maybe some copper spray, good nuts on studs with good lock washers.

Or weld the hotside together.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought trying to weld used contaminated cast iron led to brittle welds and breakeage?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I would drill out the manifold. Its cast, it will drill so easy.

But for what its worth, thats not an HF manifold. Its an aftermarket 2 piece cat system for a Y7.

·
Registered
477 Posts
One of my buddies that owns a y7 DX EK that had to replace that exhaust manifold because of cracks.

I have one sitting in my garage that's been on my car for 10+ years and its held up so who knows.. I hope it last for you.

all that extra heat is going to put it to the test that's for sure lol...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, its not an actual HF Mani... Its the piece off my old 95 CX that was stolen.

And tranzex, you used one hole and drilled the three other on the exhaust manifold itself? No issues with the turbo hitting the block? Looks like a nice solution to my issue.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
I bought the above manifold and adapter off here I believe. It is the original HMT design from years ago.

I have it and a CXSpeed (?) eBay manifold just sitting here, was gonna go tiny turbo on the 4g4door but it is gone.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I think best bet is all studs and nuts. aren't those Y7 manifolds known to crack?

its definitely got my attention. do you plan to make more and sell them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would drill out the manifold. Its cast, it will drill so easy.

But for what its worth, thats not an HF manifold. Its an aftermarket 2 piece cat system for a Y7.
Thanks for clarifying that I've wondered if that was possible since I noticed they can unbolt right there!

·
Registered
73 Posts
im running the customfabshop.com adapter. they make tons of different kinds of turbo adapters.

Forgive my noobishness is that a coolant like with a quick disconnect like an air hose? Do you have any leaks with that? and who makes it? and is there an oil line like that? I love that idea!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Those are coolant lines w/ barb fittings to connect to,
But those look just like the ones I had( only lasted 15k before the started to steam" through the braiding when up to temp :( ) off ebay

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
im running the customfabshop.com adapter. they make tons of different kinds of turbo adapters.

Quick disconnect water lines, I knew it was possible!

Thanks for clarifying that I've wondered if that was possible since I noticed they can unbolt right there!
OEM Y7 don't unbolt

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FarmerD said:
Yes, this is the ED i still drive to this day, every day. lol.

Looks like you ran the stock DSM rubber charge pipes but not the smic? Running a fmic?

Should I not run my CX manifold? Am I better off hunting down an actual HF manifold? I'm thinking the turbo would hang low too/cause oil issues...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts