Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up, i've been a reader for awhile, and just starting a build. I've had a D16Z6 Block/Head/Intake Mani laying around for about 1.5 yr now and lately i've been bored with my time and have a little extra money.

Right now this is just a project. I do not even have a shell to put it in yet. This will always be a project car for me. I don't ever plan to do anything in it except race. However I only have access to 91 octane,, can get octane boost for more but for the sake of it im just going with 91 octane.

As of now i'm breaking it down to two stages.

Stage one.
-YCP Vitara Pistons
-FJ R Spec Custom Length Rods
-Block notching(will be done by me)
-ACL Bearings
-Slightly Ported and Polished(By me-in process) Z6 IM and Head

Plan here is to beef up the bottom end up while its out for stage two. Then make sure I can get everything working without too much trouble and frustration for my first engine transplant.

I'm wanting to get a 92-95 hatch, so thats the shell i plan to use unless i find a good deal on a crx or maybe even a coupe. Depending on the car I get, I could get one with a warped head or something for cheap and have alot of stuff im missing fuel rail/distrubutor/water pump/exhaust mani.

Stage Two
-Bisimoto Level1.2 turbo camshaft / springs / retainers
-Adjustable cam gear
-Turbo, kit built by me, hopefully including the manifold.
-Injectors 880cc
-255l fuel pump
-Chipped ECU
-Tuning

Well its obvious, i'm planning to go turbo and since I want to make the turbo manifold myself i'd figured it'd be easier to stage my build. This way I can come up with a design for my manifold and get to actually see if it fits before i finish it all.
Also just being my first time, the less I throw in at once the less I might have to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.. which it probably will.

I don't know what I plan for stage 3 yet, I have to do more research, this is as far as i've gotten and haven't actually purchased any parts yet. Just have my Block/Head/Intake Mani, that i've started cleaning up.

I would like to eventually hit over 350+ HP. This is a race car/project car, I only plan to keep upgrading. Right now, I'm pretty sure im heading in the right direction

Just about sums its up for now, I'd appreciate comments on my build, I am new so any tips/advice and help would be awesome. ill post more info on my build and progression later, and continue to do so throughout my project. Maybe some pics of my unfinished port n polishin work.

Anyways, its too late for me.

Btw, nice to officially meet you all

Some pictures!

My block, just cleaned.

My head in the process of being Ported and Polished By ME!

Intake Manifold

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
look up my post in this section about Porting a Z6 mani. You'll thanks me later

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had to fix one of the camshaft holders, it had a broken boss where the thread was. I welded it up, honed out the bore where the rocker shaft is(it had moved a bit from heat of welding), machined it down, re-drilled and tapped for insert. Here are some pictures.

My repair pic is kind of blurry, ill re-take. unfortunately i dont have the valvetrain with me right now and i didn't know the picture was so crappy. 2nd picture is of what a normal camshaft holder(although it is an end one, and looks a little different but you get the idea.)

Lol, what do you think?

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so I took apart the rest of the bottom end and I found out I'm going to definately need to bore out my cylinders.. probably 75.5mm.

Since I have to have block work, I was just thinking of going all out have them resurface the faces and line hone the main caps. I was thinking of sleeving it since I'm going to have it at a shop, and all this other work done might as well be safe, plus I'd like to push this motor as far as I can.

I was looking around for some Auto Machine Shops, and I found a couple but I was wondering if anyone in the bay area,cali knows of any good ones with a decent price? I live in san jose, but i'm willing to drive 30-50 miles to a good shop.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
to bad your not closer to exospeed thats where id go. I wouldnt bother sleeving it not worth it IMO, keep your stock sleeves and bore to 75.5

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I dont plan to stop producing power with this motor until it wants to.. and if i get it to push 400+ HP before I blow it on accident, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen, or be limited by my stock sleeves.
Its a project/race car, I can almost guarantee i'll eventually push this motor to its limit. Only time this car is going to come out is to go fast.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
hell stock sleeves with no guard or posts are pushing 500hp right now with vitaras. its all in the tune man

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
It looking good so far but I will suggest you get some bigger injectors either 880 or 1000's. The 680's will just barely gt you to 350 and you dont want something simple like injectors holding you back. So learn from my mistake and upgrade. The rest is looking great.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So for the turbo kit I was thinking of putting together.. looks something like this

-Garret T3/T4 50 trim
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-Tial 50mm BOV
-GO-AUTOWORKS Medium Intercooler

For the manifold, I'm still unsure which style i'm going to try to make.

I saw this article on making a turbo manifold

I like the 4-2-1 turbo fitted manifold. Correct me if i'm wrong but that is the style he is making? Would this be ideal for a honda motor?
why or why not?

I notice alot of the turbo manifolds makers for d-series, dont use this style. They all use top mount, mini ram, ramhorn, log mani.
A log mani would be pretty easy for me to make, but I heard/read from multiple people to avoid the log mani.
The Next easiest thing to make would be something like a 4-2-1 w/ turbo/wastegate flanges.

Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What are some of the good electronic boost controllers out there? I was looking into the Greddy ones.. is this needed with the Hondata or NepTune, which is what i was thinking of going. Only reason I ask, i always see Hondata w/ boost control and such.. you still need a boost controller right? I was thinking of getting the Greddy PROFEC E-01 Electronic Boost Controller.

and how about that turbo manifold anyone have any input on it?

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Unless you know what your doing on the mani it might be one hell of a task if you ask me but would save money for sure. But the mini ram or full ram are ideal for our cars. Topmounts will make a bit more lag and the logs dont flow all that well so its hard to make power with them.

Now as far as boost controller's go I like my blitz and have never had a problem out of it.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Accord LX
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
With the manifold, I'm not too worried about welding it up or making the flanges. I'm fully capable of machining some flanges, and doing all the fabrication. The design is mainly what I'm going to have trouble with, like making equally length runners, the shape of the ports and how they all come together to the collector and my flange placement.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts