Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My first post here. 25 years ago back when I worked at a Honda dealership, i used to be alot more into the technical aspects of these cars and I had a bit more access to information. However things are not the same now and finding technical info on the older cars isn't as easy as I would have hoped. I have a project car that I completed about ten years ago and now I am considering a teardown and cleanup with some needed modifications. That's where I need some help, the car is a VW Beetle with a 1989 acura legend 2.7 liter v6 with the manual transmission. I currently have the standard final drive of 4.2:1. I would like to change it to something taller, a 3.2:1 or similar would be great. I'm having trouble actually identifying the trans and even though I know alot of internals are the same across different platforms i don't even know where to start without knowing what I have.. I would appreciate any knowledge on the subject that might help me get somewhere. If you would like to see the car you can have a look at my youtube page 67bajabuilder, theres a couple good vids on the build and you might see just why i want to change the gears. Thanks in advance, best regards..

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,939 Posts
yeah, Im in to see where this goes lol.

this is a website meant for the engine that came in the civic chassis
but there are people here who know or know someone who knows.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The engine you have is the C27A1
Which transmission do you have as far as source? Do you know if it is the original 89 legend tranny?

I would investigate both auto and manual versions of trannies offered in the legend, and see if any internals actually interchange, such as bearings and seals. Then I would also look into the transmissions offered in the 5 cylinder newer versions.

There is a good chance SOMETHING will pop up. Even if it ends up cross referencing input and counter shafts of manual trannies and doing a gearset change.

The far easier option, though uglier for the car, is to chop up the fenders or add flares, and run much larger overall diameter tires. Gaining an extra 2 inches overall might help your situation, which I assume is traction and high rpm cruising

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Actually, I watched the baja buggy build video. seems I was incorrect in my assumption of the motor sitting like a traditional v6/v8 and having the driveshafts through the oilpan like the c30 engines.

I wonder if you could utilize a NSX transmission? in the NSX, it sits jsut like FWD orientation.

Just spit balling here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mattliston, yes it is the original manual gearbox the acura came with. I'm really hoping that it has internals that are similar to other cars, as many of the honda trannies for the 4 cylinder's have interchangable parts. First though, i need to find out what platform or series my current 5 speed is based off of. Did honda tool a completely new trans for the v6 or just redesign the bellhousing of an existing series...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found out from a member of another forum with the same car that I have the acura g3t4 manual. It apparently shares internals with the s20 trans. Another trail to follow I suppose

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Now is the time to start looking at online acura and honda dealership parts and numbers, match up bearings, shafts, gears themselves, etc...

It is a great way to find out things like this. Things like the synchros, if same part number, may indicate more and more simularities

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
PG2 is a bastard child of a trans, doubt it was used in anything else stateside. A custom FD is possible but like custom VW parts it will not be cheap. I'd expect it to cost $1500-2500 being a one off piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts