Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put an act 4puck racing clutch and an xtreme pressure plate on my car and i was wondering if its safe to use this clutch with stock 96-00ex axles on a 96hb with a d16y8. I've had it in for about 2 weeks now and i was wondering if this is safe cause i cant really shift without double clutching when im racing someone from a dead stop cause if i do everytime i let off on the clutch fast it sounds like(im guessing its my axles making the sound) my axles want to snap in half.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low EG-T said:
prolly not , but then again i have seen oems being abused at 600 hp for quite a while
600hp out of a d16y8?

·
Registered
941 Posts
be careful with the differential, you'll snap that thing in no time with that clutch. All that power has to go somewhere. I wonder how long one would last if slicks were used. hah that'd be fun to try with a vx tranny

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bense said:
be careful with the differential, you'll snap that thing in no time with that clutch. All that power has to go somewhere. I wonder how long one would last if slicks were used. hah that'd be fun to try with a vx tranny
Can u get different differentials....stronger ones i mean? If so what kinda would u recommend?

·
Registered
263 Posts
difs

drunknEK9 said:
Can u get different differentials....stronger ones i mean? If so what kinda would u recommend?
if you arnt willing to spend over 1k, you dont want to know the answer to that one. although... you could probably pick up some stock open diffs pretty cheap. if you try to buy a diff from honda its like 500+ bucks. your best bet would be to pick up a broken tranny or buy one thats already taken apart... like from me!

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
do you have a mount kit? you shouldn't worry too much i've seen people driev everyday on full face sintered iron clutches and be fine:beer:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NastyHabitzCRX said:
do you have a mount kit? you shouldn't worry too much i've seen people driev everyday on full face sintered iron clutches and be fine:beer:
Whats a mount kit? U mean like motor mounts? No but im about to get the energy suspension motor mounts or the inserts.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
drunknEK9 said:
Whats a mount kit? U mean like motor mounts? No but im about to get the energy suspension motor mounts or the inserts.
yeah motor mount kit sorry. don't bother with the ES kit just break out with a mount kit and be done. :beer:

·
Registered
941 Posts
drunknEK9 said:
nobody makes a stronger open differential it's just pointless. Most LSDs are significantly stronger than the stock differential

·
Potato salad!
93 Civic HB DX
298 Posts
Is it a short squealing sound? That'd be your clutch not engaging correctly. You shouldn't need to double clutch a setup like that. It just takes the proper timing. I've been living with a ACT stage 4 for the last three years. If you really want hell, try taking a drag clutch into San Francisco.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NastyHabitzCRX said:
yeah motor mount kit sorry. don't bother with the ES kit just break out with a mount kit and be done. :beer:
What kind of motor mount kit do u think i should get then? Post a link or somethin. thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spoonfed said:
Is it a short squealing sound? That'd be your clutch not engaging correctly. You shouldn't need to double clutch a setup like that. It just takes the proper timing. I've been living with a ACT stage 4 for the last three years. If you really want hell, try taking a drag clutch into San Francisco.
Nope no squealing noises. And it is a drag clutch san fransisco traffic is probably alot worse but i have to drive to nashville every morning and they're traffic isnt to great.

·
Registered
255 Posts
drunknEK9 said:
Nope no squealing noises. And it is a drag clutch san fransisco traffic is probably alot worse but i have to drive to nashville every morning and they're traffic isnt to great.
I might live in KY, but I can tell you that it isn't the traffic he's talking about. It's the hills. Son-of-a-bitch they got some hills. Try taking off up a 30 degree incline in a lightweight, FWD car with an axle snapper of a clutch. By the way, TCI automotive used to make d-series axles rated to like 250 hp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ONECAMWONDER said:
I might live in KY, but I can tell you that it isn't the traffic he's talking about. It's the hills. Son-of-a-bitch they got some hills. Try taking off up a 30 degree incline in a lightweight, FWD car with an axle snapper of a clutch. By the way, TCI automotive used to make d-series axles rated to like 250 hp.
Yea i realized the driving he was talking about after i got done. I was looking into getting the fidanze axle....maybe, they make d-series' also.

·
Potato salad!
93 Civic HB DX
298 Posts
ONECAMWONDER said:
Bingo! My sister lives in downtown San Fran. Man, some of those hills are evil. Taking off from a stand still gets wheel spin, stalling or the horrible squeal from not letting it engage properly. I can live with regular stop an go traffic, but the hills are the primary reason I plan to get rid of this clutch. I'm taking it one step down. I find it's harder on my tranny too for a daily driver. Trying to make it engage smoothly is more work than dragging it on the strip.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spoonfed said:
Trying to make it engage smoothly is more work than dragging it on the strip.
I heard that....:werd:

·
Registered
263 Posts
drunknEK9 said:
Yea i realized the driving he was talking about after i got done. I was looking into getting the fidanze axle....maybe, they make d-series' also.

save your money, d series axels can hold up to 500hp or so... theres many of guys where i live running 350, 400, 450, 480, 500+ on their stock axels... now the 500+ broke them twice, but thats under extreme conditions... your type of driving will be fine with stock ones. if your going to waste money on buying some axels, just waste your money by sending me a check for 400 bucks.

your stock differential will be fine, trust me. if you want to upgrade to something else, check out my post about the obx diffs... it depends on how much money you want to spend. if you use the money you were going to spend on new axels, you can really take a good chunk out of the quaiffe price.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
I have an Action 6-puck unsprung with Advanced axles. Only broken one (reverse donut, snapped spline in half inside of differential).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts