Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the main difference between Standard and Race spec bearings?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
ACL Race Series performance engine bearings are recognized as a premier brand throughout the motorsports world. Race Series rod and main bearings are standard components in race engines that have set records and won championships from Mexico to Bonneville - from sport compact drift racing to small block NASCAR, IHRA and NHRA cmpetitions. The unique combination of design, metallurgy and engineering provides Race Series performance bearings with the endurance and capability to perform where others cannot. These exceptional bearings are available for a variety of American, Asian and European performance engines.

ACL Race Series

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
i think the race series are a tri-metal bearing while the standard ones are a bi-metal. or they both are a tri-metal but have different layers

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I had these in my old car. Let's just say they can take a beating, literally.

But on a serious note, I had a positive experience with them. I messed with my base timing on my last build and ended up detonating until I cracked my ringlands. Upon removal of pistons, I noticed that the detonating was so severe that it caused indentations in the conrod bearing, I did not inspect the main bearings because I swapped pistons while the motor was still in the car. Even after all that, I still ran with those ACL race bearings due to time and budget constraints and never had an issue with a spun bearing or what not.

Pics of the bearings freshly installed.

Pics of plastigauging.

ended up plastigauging around .0015" for all my mains I forgot my conrod specs. On the loose side but ran fine on my car.

Also, they come with a special coating for install. I figured this out after cleaning down the bearings with brake fluid. I'm not sure if ACL want's them cleaned before install but it would be best to ask them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I believe the race bearings have a slightly looser tolerance aswell

The reviews on them are great, and the price isnt high, which is why I went with them. My tolerances ended up on the loose end but the car runs great no problems at all with a drop in no hassle bearing couldnt ask for more
I believe they have a standard size race bearing and a loose size race bearing. iirc the loose ones have a" f" on the end of the part # and they are around .0002" looser.

I used the standard race ones. They seem to be working well.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i think the race series are a tri-metal bearing while the standard ones are a bi-metal. or they both are a tri-metal but have different layers
I haven't been able to find if the standards are tri/bi metal or not but I read these D17 connecting rod bearings are aluminum based instead of lead.

I believe they have a standard size race bearing and a loose size race bearing. iirc the loose ones have a" f" on the end of the part # and they are around .0002" looser.

I used the standard race ones. They seem to be working well.
The lose race bearings have an "X" in the part number.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So WTF does this mean? Anyone else see this before?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts