Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
^^ Yep and I have seen honda ones go in a matter of months or weeks myself. Just cause its no HONDA dont mean it is no good. Honda doesnt make all there parts...
I will Back ACL's 100% unless you want to build a motor and still expect it to 200k..

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
100 bucks says Oscars engine wont be "top notch" condition in 2 years from now. I dont expect mine to be. Infact I plan on having to rebuild it or atleast replace the bearings once a year or more. I drive it that hard!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
nobody says that ACL will not works, it will works the question is how much time :)
Honda bearnings are the best thats my opinion after building a lot of Honda's engines.

O

·
0 Posts
Bizzar said:
100 bucks says Oscars engine wont be "top notch" condition in 2 years from now. I dont expect mine to be. Infact I plan on having to rebuild it or atleast replace the bearings once a year or more. I drive it that hard!!
your on bizzy.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
oscarmayer said:
your on bizzy.
I will be one two. Use it as your daily and beat it daily like you built it for and see what shape it is in within first year or so..

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
BlackMoon said:
my mechs have told me acl bearings are way better than any oem honda bearing . u just got to let them run in forlike 500 miles . no micropolishing etc. needed

Well now you're going to get flamed for listening to "your mechanic". I would still have the crank turned so that all of the journals are the same size. I plastigaged
my mains on sunday and 3 of 5 (journals 1, 2, and 4) spec'd out the same. Journal #3 was slightly more loose (by about .004mm) and #5 was tight (0.030mm). So I think I'm going to try and swap halves on those two journals like BIzzar said and see if I can get those two to level out a bit. I haven't done my rod journals yet but I'll post up what my results are when I do.

O

·
0 Posts
NO you NEVEr tuen a factory honda crank eVER!!!!! you'll ruin the finish honda puts on them. on top of that, it will make the bearing clearances even more loose so for sure using alc's is a bad idea as the tollernaces on some of even all of the beargins journels will be out of specs them garrantied.

·
11,892 Posts
oscarmayer said:
NO you NEVEr tuen a factory honda crank eVER!!!!! you'll ruin the finish honda puts on them. on top of that, it will make the bearing clearances even more loose so for sure using alc's is a bad idea as the tollernaces on some of even all of the beargins journels will be out of specs them garrantied.
Did you read my post? All five were within spec. 3 out of 5 were exactly the same. 2 were different. #3 was a little loose and #5 was a little tight. I guarantee that if I swap halves that those two will level out. I haven't, although I should have, measured the bearings / journals just to eliminate some of the guess work. I have no worries though.

What is this magical finish put on OEM honda cranks?

·
11,892 Posts
Honda4VW said:
Agreed...very very bad, most automotive machine shops know this too. Do a little searching, youll find the reason
Well that sucks I wish I would have known.

edit: I can't find anything. Does anyone have some info about this?

O

·
0 Posts
it ruins the bering surfacing honda puts on the cranks, it also causes the journels to shrink in size. in the end you have bad surfaced item along with smaller size this leading to a bad combo that will eventually in a short time wear out.

honda cranks have been designed for the metal to be polished a certain way to go against the grain of the metal for a better micro finish. something maching shops cannot do.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts