Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a mission to strenghten my internals and was wondering about fixing in ACL bearings . Are they significantly stronger than aftermarket bearings or not worth fixing ? want to boost 1.7 bar

O

·
0 Posts
I'll state this again for the umtenth time to everyone...

Nothing is better than the factory honda bearings properly spected for your engine. NOTHING...

Hope this helps. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
BlackMoon said:
hi thanks . but what do you mean properly spected ??? ive spun a bearing before how do i keep them safe ?
If you have spun a bearing before there are issues.. you need to take the block out of the car and have it hot tanked and cleaned thoroughly. If you do not do this it will increase the chances of a piece of metal getting into the new bearings and causing the same issue.

Properly spec'd means properly torque’d down and stuff.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i screwed that block . using a new one now . hope its fine .

properly specd bearings are good enough ? i dont need aftermarket stuff ? i always thought ACL are to bearings what EAGLE is to Con Rods . lol

O

·
0 Posts
you have to mic the bearing clearances to be perfect according to honda specs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
bearings are bearing...i built mine and i was given federal mougal...and ended up spinning a bearing after about 2000 miles...so i had to purchase a whole new crank kit..and no prob since...

O

·
0 Posts
SleepingCRX88 said:
bearings are bearing...i built mine and i was given federal mougal...and ended up spinning a bearing after about 2000 miles...so i had to purchase a whole new crank kit..and no prob since...

yea, ok, no wonder why a bearing spun. "bearings are bearings"

NO each maker uses differnet quality, and quality of materials to manufacturer them with along with differnet specs. Honda has 7 differnet thichnessess of bearings for the rods and 7 for the cranks to ensure you get a perfect spaced rod or main. Doing it right the first time will keep you from having to redo it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i did it right and i know i did it right...i had all oem specs...but i took my stuff to a machince shop and they didnt check the crank for balance and ended up spinning it..but if this is goin to turn into a big issue what would make oem bearings so much better if there are diff and better quality ones out there?

O

·
0 Posts
ahh that explains it. then do this.

wait for the sshop owner to leave for the day and watch him. as soon as he bends over to put the key in his car door lock, run up and kick him in the nads and run off. ;)

D

·
0 Posts
I have built 12 motors using acl bearings, all went in oem specs and none had any bearing problems..EVER. Yes that is 12 motors with 0 bearing problems with acl.

Honda bearings are great. They cost twice as much as acl's though

Honda bearings = soft face bearings, they will soak in small particles and can last basically forvever unless you have detonation or do not change oil regularly.

ACL bearings = hard faced bearings, they will not soak in particles, so if you do not keep stuff clean when you build or change your oil, you can and will score your crank. The harder face bearing will take some detonation ect as long as it is clean. If your gonna beat on it or might have some trouble tuning use the acl bearings.

If you do not keep everything clean as your building, please do not use either bearings, take it to the machine shop. If your in a hurry, please take it to a machine shop. If your going to disregaurd bearing clearances, please take it to a machine shop. If your going to use fedrel mogul bearings, please do not post on this board.

The new Clevite bearings have been doing very well also (since them made them to actually fit correctly with the tangs in the right place.) I know a few peopleusing them from 300-600+ daily driven WHP using the clevite bearings. I have never used them though.

If you buy acl bearings, but you have no idea what your doing, cannot build a motor properly, do not check your clearances ect ect ect please do not blame it on the acl bearing. I really get tired of hearing this crap day in and day out from people who have never used them or have used them wrong. They have there place in the bearing world and they work great.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so... i still dont know what to do now . im driving a very abused currently 262bhp d16z6 at 1.1 bar . going to boost up to 1.7 bar once my forged internals arrived . (3 weeks down 9 weeks to go , fuck surface parcel ) . i change oil very frequently , it makes me happy . i have never been to a machine shop before . i have no idea how to fix anything in my motor and my mechanic does everything . there you go .

·
Registered
951 Posts
What about King Performance bearings, they claim they make bearings for nasacar or something and have a d16 bearing kit.

THE BENEFITS OF USING KING ENGINE BEARINGS

Tri-metal vs. Bi-metal Bearings
Traditional rod and main bearing construction is based upon a three layer configuration composed of a steel backing, a copper-lead layer and a very thin overlay of babbitt material only .0005" - .0008" thick.

King’s bearing uses just two layers, a high strength steel backing plus a bonded layer of "Alecular" bearing material .012" - .015" thick.

Alecular material is used exclusively by King. It is an alloy of aluminum, tin, copper and several other elements. Because it is an alloy, it maintains its properties throughout its entire depth, delivering consistent and reliable performance.

Benefit No.1 - Particle Embedability
More than half of engine bearing failures are caused by metallic particles which scratch crank journals and tear or weaken thin babbitt overlays such as in the tri-metal bearing.

Since King’s Alecular bearing layer is much thicker than the babbitt overlay (.015" vs. .0008"), it provides eighteen (18) times more embedability than a tri-metal bearing to catch and hold particles so they don’t scratch the crank journals. This is especially true for particles over .0004" in diameter which cause most of the damage.

Benefit No. 2 - Conformability
The much thicker layer of Alecular bearing material (.015" vs. .0008") allows the bearing to conform to problems such as metal to metal contact when there is mis-alignment present or the connecting rods stretch. Greater conformability means fewer bearing failures.

Benefit No. 3 - Temperature Resistance
The Alecular material’s melting/fatigue point is over 11000 F, almost three times that of the thin babbitt overlay in a tri-metal bearing (400OF). This means added protection against localized overheating due to mis-alignment, detonation, overloading, loss of coolant, etc.

Benefit No. 4 - High Load Capacity
Alecular bearings successfully withstand the stresses of blown, nitro-methane burning Top Fuel dragsters generating 5,000 hp at 8,000 rpm and in 700 hp circle track engines running for extended periods of time. The same metallurgical alloy is used in King’s street bearings that is used in King’s High Performance bearings, so the regular bearing user gets the advantage of the alloy developed and used in race engines.

Benefit No. 5 - Control of Wall Tolerance
Bearing -to- journal clearances on main and connecting rod bearings can be affected by several variables, all of which the engine builder must try to control. King has removed concerns about inconsistent shell to shell bearing wall thickness by the use of statistical control methods to keep wall thickness to very limited variation.

Other manufacturers produce bearings whose wall thickness at the crown can vary by up to + .00025". King bearings are produced using "Bull's Eye" specs which set a higher standard of controlling the wall thickness, permitting no more than + .00010" variation of the desired thickness.

The benefits of tight control of wall thickness tolerance are:

Improved consistency of bearing to journal clearance. No more trying different bearings within a set to get the "right" fit.
Superior eccentricity and crush relief values for a better oil "wedge" and less journal wear.
Less taper across the bearing face, meaning superior wall stability, a more parallel wall and better oil film development.
Crankshaft grinder does not need to grind cranks "fat" or "thin" to compensate for bearing variations.

Benefit No. 6 - Crankshaft Endplay
All bearing companies solve crankshaft journal wear by supplying oversized bearings. However, King went two steps further with the development of Max Flange and Pro Flange. Max Flange reduces endplay by supplying the flange on the high side of the tolerance to compensate for crankshaft thrust surface wear; this process is used on all King bearings. Pro Flange are bearing sets supplied with oversized flanges allowing the thrust surface to be ground to .010", .020", or .030" undersize.

KING BEARINGS GIVE YOU EXTRA INSURANCE AGAINST ENGINE BEARING FAILURES!

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I used ACL's in my budget build. There is nothing wrong with them as stated but you MUST mic the crank, and journals if you can, measure the bearings and get a baseline start with plastiguage. No two ACL bearings measure the same. I used 2 sets and had to swap halves all over the place to get the clearences where I wanted it. Honda makes it easier by offering 5 different sized bearings and all have very tight tolerances.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
ACL's work fucking great, of course people that dont rock them will Knock them.
there about 90 for set compared to 200 for rip off Honda ones..

O

·
0 Posts
yea rip off honda ones.

I've seen very few motors make it more than a yr or 2 with alc or any other bearing, but I've seen tons of honda bearing motors make it several years.

again the otehrs are 1 size fits all whuile honda gives you the 7 differnet thicknessess per SIZE to emsure you get the perfect fit the first time and allow you to get a perfect miced bearing to journel.

you guys do as you wish, but as long as peopel are going to continue to do things half way or the wrong way, i'm not going to help them.

I'm here to do 1 thing, try to show you guys how to do it the right way.
"do it right the first time and you don't have to go back and do it again."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts