Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a sohc zc into 98 civic . I transfered my old
Ac conpressor into new motor along with the tensioner pulley.
I started the car and it squealed does that mean
the belt is too tight or loose ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some wd40 will work ? Ithe belt seemed a bit hot when I touched it..
Does the tension pulley have to spin when the car is on ?

·
Registered
650 Posts
The belts will warm up with use. If it's over tensioned, however, that will cause problems. I'm not familiar with those engines, but typically, Honda either uses the alternator to tension the a/c belt, or the compressor itself has a tension adjustment. It has only been on the v6's and k series that I've seen a serpentine belt.

If it's a brand new belt, and not Gates (which is Honda OEM), then you may want to get a Honda/Gates belt. If it's over tensioned, then loosen the belt a little. If it's the pulley, and assuming the belt is tensioned properly, some lube will help for now, but it will be going out on you at some point in the near future. If the belt is under tensioned, then that would explain the heating up and squealing, as the belt would be slipping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The belts will warm up with use. If it's over tensioned, however, that will cause problems. I'm not familiar with those engines, but typically, Honda either uses the alternator to tension the a/c belt, or the compressor itself has a tension adjustment. It has only been on the v6's and k series that I've seen a serpentine belt.

If it's a brand new belt, and not Gates (which is Honda OEM), then you may want to get a Honda/Gates belt. If it's over tensioned, then loosen the belt a little. If it's the pulley, and assuming the belt is tensioned properly, some lube will help for now, but it will be going out on you at some point in the near future. If the belt is under tensioned, then that would explain the heating up and squealing, as the belt would be slipping.
Well alternator and power steering haves its own belt
belt and idler pulley was working fine on my other
motor. Im going to check if eightee I put the pulley
wrong where its not able to spin when the car is on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts