Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... And I have to tear the engine apart for a class that I am taking next semester. Now, from what I understand it has a d15-non vtec(car is 100% stock), what can I do with this engine to raise the compression? From what I have read with the d16s you can swap pistons around to get different compression ratios, but I want to keep this block because I am on as tight of budget as possible. Will a Vtec head fit the block? Are there any pistons I can put in this to raise compression, or can I just mill the head. Any really radical cams available?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The easiest way to go is do a stock rebuild on the short block and swap a Z6/Y8 head on it. Convert to OBD-1 and use a P28 ECU to run it. There are other ways to activate the VTEC solonoid if your budgets that tight.

·
Registered
901 Posts
remember he said hes ona "budget".
i would get an crx si head with 87-88 integra pistons and rods ( d16a1 ). ohh and dont forget about an crx si ecu.
it should be all plug and play.
that should be the cheapest route for a decent gain.
if you go vtec, it is going to get pricey.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You don't really gain anything in a D15 with stock rods and A1 pistons. New PO3s cost about the same as new PG6Bs. Depending on the condition of the block and pistons he could just reuse the ones he has and put in new rings and bearings, then use the money from buying pistons and put that into getting a Z6/Y8 head or even just put a Y7 head on it for a bump in compression.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
Dweezil said:
You don't really gain anything in a D15 with stock rods and A1 pistons.
he will lose power.

rip engine apart, replace main and rod bearings, hot-tank pistons and rods depending on condition and new piston rings. then if you want throw on a z6/y8 head on if you want vtec.... but if you want higher compression with no vtec toss on a y7 head.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the stock head an 8v or 16v? I take it the vtec head would yeild more power than the more compression from the z6/y8 heads.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If it is a DX, is it DPI? That would have to go. Swap to the MPFI and swap some internals like what was stated above. Pistons would bring up the compression, don't be scared of the OBD-0. That is what i have and i recently got it tuned. OBD-1 would be easier, just a little costly to swap over to it if you are on a budget.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
The hood rich way of going about things and staying obd-0 with VTEC is to run a ps9 and use the lockup converter function to activate the vtec or get a MSD RPM activated switch.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
graveltravel said:
remember he said hes ona "budget".
i would get an crx si head with 87-88 integra pistons and rods ( d16a1 ). ohh and dont forget about an crx si ecu.
it should be all plug and play.
that should be the cheapest route for a decent gain.
if you go vtec, it is going to get pricey.
Hi smarty. The head he has is the same already. Put an si cam in there with a y7 cam gear and he's good to go. Also 87-88 integra pistons and rods dont work on the 1.5. The cranks are different sizes! CRX SI ecu is the same as the Civic SI...just say "SI"!!!! It's not plug and play, you have to rewire for mpfi if you use an SI ecu!!!

Going vtec is not going to get super pricey, a basic mpfi swap and a y8 head swap with a rpm activated vtec engagement is cheap.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Dern Humpus said:
Is the stock head an 8v or 16v? I take it the vtec head would yeild more power than the more compression from the z6/y8 heads.
you have a DX, you have a 16 valve d15b2 with dual point fuel injection (DPFI). Make MPFI first on your agenda!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts